Drivers License Renewal While H1B visa is under extension

Hello. 

I live in Denver and the attorney of my school district filed my H1B renewal a few days before it expired, so my H1B visa renewal is still pending (it can take from 2 to 4 months). 

When I went today to the DMV to renew my driving license, they said I cannot drive. BUT I can work. I know I can drive until the visa is approved, but in the DMV in Denver they have no idea...

What should I say or get from USCIS / my attorney so that the DMV can see I have the right to get a driving license?

Thank you! I would really appreciate your help 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello. 

My last h1b was valid till 9/16/2015 and my driving license was given only till 9/16/2015. After realizing that my license expired i went today to get it renewed in Dallas,TX.  My visa is valid till 9/1/2018 and it was approved on 9/1/2015(which is before my previous visa expiration date on 9/16/2015).  Lady at the counter told me she was not able to verify my lawful status so i showed her my paystubs, w2, i797 but for no use. She asked me to check back in a week or so after i hear from Texas DPS headoffice in austin or uscis.

WTF what is the point of having all these stupid systems when it hinders basic common sense. All the documents were right infront of her to prove lawful status.  

They could have given something that allows ppl to drive in the meanwhile. So frustrating.

Do we have to go through this hassel every 3 years ?? ( h1b extension is given only 3  yrs) till we get the green card ??

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I had to renew my DL as it was expiring on Jan 10, 2016.

I live in WI and went to one of the DMVs in Madison.

It was a fairly painless process over there.

I went in there with the following docs:

• H1B Renewal Petition - Original Copy
  • I-94 (latest copy)
  • Passport
  • I - 797

I am not sure about other states but in WI, when they process this particular scenario, after entering all the information in their system, they have to email another location to verify if the information is correct, and they have to receive a reply back. This does not take a long time though (5-10 minutes).

Once they receive a reply, that's it. You are done. I received the extension that day itself. The actual DL being mailed via normal mail of course.

I read in another thread that WI DMV does not issue extension to your DL if you don't have a renewed H1B, I-797. This is NOT correct.

WI definitely processes and gives extension to people in our situation.

Hope this helps.

Hi guys,

I am in a similar situation as some of you have been in the past although mine seems a little more complicated - Time to renew the license!

I would like to get an input to see if anyone of you can shed some light on this.

My H1b visa expires on Feb 8th (so does my driving license). The extension has not been applied yet because the I-140 is still in process and we are hoping the H1b extension will be applied closer to the Feb 8th date. Looking into the information here I am assuming I will be able to get a 2-8 month extension at the Garland DMV based on the H1b extension application. Although I will have those days in between where the DHS will verify etc. so in other words few days without license.

My wife is in a different situation - Her H1b expired on Dec 13th and her H4 transfer application has been applied. So she is in the country based on an H4 application with H1b expired. She just has the application document.

Can she apply for 2-8 month DL extension based on that document? The thing to consider is that her H4 extention is applied based on my H1b expiry which is Feb 8th (not too far). I guess when the DHS and USCIS make an attempt to check the lawful presence for her its going to show that she is in the process of extension but based on an expiry that's very close in the future. So not sure how the 2-8 months DL extension would play out in her case? I am thinking we will still go to the DMV and take a chance and see what happens.

One last question - sounds dumb but is there a possibility that we can still drive based on the Indian Driving License here and show it as proof (along with the USCIS docs) to the officer if pulled over?

Any input will be helpful.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have not gone though all your cases in detail but could understand that the issue is about license renewal, I heard something about process called "Save"  check with other DMV in your location about this process or if its applicable and follow their advice.

Please contact your local DMV and check if they have any of this process and follow their advice.

Please note - This is not a legal advice nor a guaranty statement,  this is just a information please verify before you follow.

Disclaimer - I am just a member and all the above information is just a though and not a guaranty statement or legal advice or verified statement, please check with your DMV and follow their advice. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

K1

• 2 months later...

I am l1b visa ,I have CA valid driving licence ,but my licence is expiring on 25th apr2016 due to my visa expiring ,my company is applying for my VISA extension .

Good news if you in California ,I do know have any idea about different state ,you can ask if they have same program as California , for California you can apply  CALIFORNIA AB60 :   http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/ab-60-drivers-license.php .

Pls go through the above URL , I got same licence , hope you all also get it .

Archived