H1B Stamping Location

joe_here

Hello,

In my I-797 B Notice the consulate is shown as Vancouver ie. it was done as Consulate processing in Vancouver. I would like to know if it is mandatory that I have to do my H1B stamping in Vancouver itself or irrespective of where the Consulate processing of your I-797 is done can we go to any other consulate like in India or elsewhere to do the H1B stamping. Really appreciate your valuable advise to proceed on booking my Visa Interview Dates.

Thanks,

John

Hello,

In my I-797 B Notice the consulate is shown as Vancouver ie. it was done as Consulate processing in Vancouver. I would like to know if it is mandatory that I have to do my H1B stamping in Vancouver itself or irrespective of where the Consulate processing of your I-797 is done can we go to any other consulate like in India or elsewhere to do the H1B stamping. Really appreciate your valuable advise to proceed on booking my Visa Interview Dates.

Thanks,

John

You have to go to Vancouver.

Hello,

Thanks,

John

You need to go to Vancouver

You need to go to Vancouver

Thanks for the response. Is there any other alternative to go to India for stamping as I am still not very clear that why we have to do this stamping in Vancouver alone. I thought I-797 was just an approval notice and whichever Consulate we go for Stamping we would have to  carry all the supporting documents with us right. Can you please tell me the legal side of this case.

Sorry that I actually didn't get your suggestion. I am currently in H1B & working for a client here in US for the last 2yrs and I am planning to go for H1B stamping soon. Can you please explain on why I shouldn't be working ?

Is this an extension of status petition? And, when does your current I94 expire? I believe ravipro's answer is based on this.

Thanks for the response. Is there any other alternative to go to India for stamping as I am still not very clear that why we have to do this stamping in Vancouver alone. I thought I-797 was just an approval notice and whichever Consulate we go for Stamping we would have to  carry all the supporting documents with us right. Can you please tell me the legal side of this case.

It is a bit surprising for me too that USCIS specifically asked you to go to US consulate at Vancouver and not your home country. You might be lucky in a way as lots of folks in India (if India is your home country) are stuck due to administrative processing.

Archived