Name change during Naturalization

ramkykv

Not sure how you came to this conclusion. at least leave some room for such a requirement in your discussion.

What "discussion"???

There is NO requirement to tell some arbitrary country that the person is not even a citizen of about some name change.

not  arbitrary country if the person had been a native citizen of the country for at least a decade.

Please stop getting pushed into a corner again.

Sigh.

It is an arbitrary country. It does not matter if the person was a citizen of that country once, if he is no longer a citizen of that country, the country is just like any other country the person is not a citizen of.

It is THAT simple!

Sigh.

It is an arbitrary country. It does not matter if the person was a citizen of that country once, if he is no longer a citizen of that country, the country is just like any other country the person is not a citizen of.

It is THAT simple!

sure. not staying that the person would have to give advertisements in denmark if s\he has never lived there.

India: where the person lived and US: where s\he lives now.

I think we should not side track the discussion by bringing up the point about marriage name change. This is name change during naturalization we are referring to here.

sure. not staying that the person would have to give advertisements in denmark if s\he has never lived there.

If the person doesn't have citizenship in a country, the person doesn't need to announce anything there.

It doesn't matter if the person lived in that country before or not.

Geez, it really isn't hard to understand.

I understand that it is probably hard for somebody who hasn't gone through the process to understand that the foreign country, even if it was your birth country, becomes irrelevant once you lose that country's citizenship.

I have gone through naturalization and name change, and I can tell you that the name change doesn't need to be announced in any other country, including your former country of citizenship.

and I can tell you that the name change doesn't need to be announced in any other country, including your former country of citizenship.

that bears no weight if your former country is not india..

the whole point of the argument is about one's affairs in their former country with stringent restrictive policies (again, neither here nor in your former country)..I talked to our chinese colleague and china has even tougher restrictions for it's own former citizens compared to india..

that bears no weight if your former country is not india..

And why would that be???

The name of the former country is completely and utterly irrelevant.

It is a FORMER country. If you are not a citizen of that country, even if you were at some time in the past, you don't have any obligations toward that country.

Again, it does not matter what name that country has. You are not a citizen of that country, you have no obligations whatsoever to that country.

please do not generalize from a sample size of 0 or 1 to imply that all countries do not have this requirement. May be some countries have this requirement.

Just on a side note: come to think of it, if you changed your name, are you holding on to your passport in your old name? for dual citizens who want to renew passport from their old country, why do you not need to put an advertisement in some publication?

putting advertisement is making sure that people know this and are not trying to find you can find you and not have to chase after  who has fled and thus vanished from the face of the earth.

please do not generalize from a sample size of 0 or 1 to imply that all countries do not have this requirement. May be some countries have this requirement.

I stop doing that as soon as you stop generalizing from a sample size of ZERO!

And my sample size is not 1, it actually is pretty much the number of all countries. There are international laws about these things.

The FACT is that if you are not a citizen of a particular country, you don't need to inform that country about anything related to you. You don't have to inform them about name changes, about marriage, about death, about child birth, nothing.

Your former country is no longer your country if you are not a citizen of that country anymore.

is is THAT simple.

I stop doing that as soon as you stop generalizing from a sample size of ZERO!

And my sample size is not 1, it actually is pretty much the number of all countries. There are international laws about these things.

please tell me a way to find this "international law". may be paste a link or just suggest a way to find this law.

please tell me a way to find this "international law". may be paste a link or just suggest a way to find this law.

There is lots and lots of international law. You wouldn't even be able to travel between countries if there weren't. You wouldn't be able to transfer money between countries, etc. etc. etc.

Without international laws, the global economy would not function.

There is lots and lots of international law. You wouldn't even be able to travel between countries if there weren't. You wouldn't be able to transfer money between countries, etc. etc. etc.

Without international laws, the global economy would not function.

ok. one link would suffice that indicates the person is not required to give newspaper ad in his native country.  when you have that, please post it.

International Law for Name Change !!  Someday I will probably see pigs flying :)   In US , name change is governed by State law  not even Federal .  From Wiki "In the United States, State laws regulate name changes. .....   As of 2009, 46 states allow a person legally to change names by usage alone, with no paperwork"

And   a simple google search will show how people had to put a Newspaper Ad for Name Change when surrendering Indian Passport .  Recall  Newspaper Ad is not required if Name Change is done during Naturalization.

However,  I agree ,  an Ad in an Indian newspaper might be overkill   though as we see from forums, some people do it  just to make sure there are no issues when transferring properties in India. 

This is my first and last post in this thread.  I am NOT joining this mindless and useless debate.    Let everyone do what they need to do.

International Law for Name Change !!  Someday I will probably see pigs flying :)   In US , name change is governed by State law  not even Federal .  From Wiki "In the United States, State laws regulate name changes. .....   As of 2009, 46 states allow a person legally to change names by usage alone, with no paperwork"

There are international laws that govern interactions between countries, including what jurisdiction a country has over people who are not its citizens.

That's all there is to it.

The person is not a citizen of India, the person doesn't have to inform any Indian institution about a name change. Otherwise, the person would also have to inform all other countries. This is simple common sense, which you seem to be lacking.

The bottom line: The person doesn't have to inform anybody in India or anywhere else. Period. End of story.

OP,  do whatever you are asked to do by appropriate authority.  If Indian consulate says (and they do, per posts in other  forums) you need to publish an Ad  before you apply for OCI ,  just follow that;  if you try to sell a property or close a bank account in India and they say you need an Affidavit in India,  just do that.  

OP,  do whatever you are asked to do by appropriate authority.  If Indian consulate says (and they do, per posts in other  forums) you need to publish an Ad  before you apply for OCI ,  just follow that;  if you try to sell a property or close a bank account in India and they say you need an Affidavit in India,  just do that.  

What does the Indian consulate have to do with somebody who isn't an Indian citizen?

The Indian consulate can only give that person a visa.

You really need to learn reality, and get out of your phantasyland.

What does the Indian consulate have to do with somebody who isn't an Indian citizen?

The Indian consulate can only give that person a visa.

You really need to learn reality, and get out of your phantasyland.

I suggest you stop claiming to be an expert in Indian laws while you have no clue even about laws of your own country .

A former Indian Citizen need MUCH more interaction with Consulate than you can imagine ... they need a renunciation certificate to apply for a Visa,  they need to approach Consulate  for Power of Attorney and notarizations for Property transactions in India  and more  which you have no clue.

Oh!  and BTW,  even for a Visa of a country , you need to know and follow some laws of that country .  Hope you know this basic information. 

You can now continue to spread your misinformation and venom .. good luck.

A former Indian Citizen need MUCH more interaction with Consulate than you can imagine ... they need a renunciation certificate to apply for a Visa,  they need to approach Consulate  for Power of Attorney and notarizations for Property transactions in India  and more  which you have no clue.

well said.

Some people refuse to acknowledge gaps in their knowledge.

I suggest you stop claiming to be an expert in Indian laws while you have no clue even about laws of your own country .

Are you trying to tell us that India does accept dual citizenship if you don't tell them about your name change???

If so, their laws are even more broken than I thought...

Archived