Previous employer is not giving an experence letter

dkumar

Hi Guys (@jairich, Omshiv, Rahul412....all the experts)

I was on F1 and while on opt i was working with desi consultancy at client site for 2 years, since i was having only 1 year opt (MBA), he applied for h1b.

After 2 years i left him and changed the employer. At the time of leaving he was angry on me and they said they wont give me the experience letter.

Now my current emp is about to apply for GC and i am pretty sure that lawyers will ask for the experience letter, and i also heard that ppl are getting RFE on I140 for their experience letter.

I have below questions based on above situation -

1. What am i suppose to do now? is there any option for me?

2. If he wont give me the exp letter, does it mean that i wont be able to apply for my GC?

3. I do have all W2s, paystubs and all, is it enough?

4. is there any way to complain about him?

5. Have you ever seen the ppl with same situations? and if yes what they did while applying for the 140?

6.i have been doing email to them and asking for the same but they are not replying me at all, when immigration ask for exp letter at 140, can i submitt these emails?

Please advice me, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I was on F1 and while on opt i was working with desi consultancy at client site for 2 years, since i was having only 1 year opt (MBA), he applied for h1b.

After 2 years i left him and changed the employer. At the time of leaving he was angry on me and they said they wont give me the experience letter.

Now my current emp is about to apply for GC and i am pretty sure that lawyers will ask for the experience letter, and i also heard that ppl are getting RFE on I140 for their experience letter.

2. If he wont give me the exp letter, does it mean that i wont be able to apply for my GC?

5. Have you ever seen the ppl with same situations? and if yes what they did while applying for the 140?

6.i have been doing email to them and asking for the same but they are not replying me at all, when immigration ask for exp letter at 140, can i submitt these emails?

Thanks,

Your previous employer is not obliged to give you an experience letter.

1. Can you get experience letter or affidavit from two or three senior colleague who is working with that employer?

4. No

Look at these posts.

http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/63723-clarification-on-the-documents-required-for-gc-processing/?hl=%2Bexperience+%2Bletter

http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/62876-how-exp-letter-will-impact/?hl=%2Bexperience+%2Bletter#entry242367

I guess you will need that letter. Since your GC haven't started yet, discuss this with your attorney before moving forward. He might help you out.

Thanks,

1,2&3 Send frequent emails to your prev. employer and ask for experience letter. A reply stating that they wouldn't provide experience letter would suffice. If they dont reply, keep sending the emails once a week, they could be used to put up a case that the employer has turned hostile on you.

4. You cannot complain about experience letters. 

5. I was in a similar situation. I used the emails as mentioned above and also got affidavits(Minimum 2) from other employees in that company stating that i used to work in the company from so and so time frame and had the so and so as my responsibilities. (These are needed to put up a strong application, in case there is no experience letter)

6. Yes

All the best!!

• 1 year later...

Archived