OPT declined - Twice RFE on CPT

Anandkumar

Hi,

I applied for OPT on June 15 with Aug 10 as my start date and Aug 1st being my expected graduation date. I worked for 11 months on CPT as of August 1st. Later my graduation date was extended to Sept 10 because of my Final Thesis. Since there was no update on my OPT status as of Aug 1st  and since my graduation date postponed, our School DSO advised that I can still work on CPT for the month of August which will be treated as a Pre-OPT once my OPT gets approved. But now I got my OPT declined with an RFE stating that I worked for more than 12 months on my CPT.

Did anyone face this kind of situation? Did my DSO misguide me?

Please suggest

Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks for your response!

I'm actually aware of the CPT 12 months rule which will have effect on the OPT. Here is what exactly happened.. My DSO updated my Sevis with extended graduation date after I submitted my OPT application and my graduation extension was Approved on Sevis. Then I was told by my DSO that since I already made an application for OPT, once my OPT gets approved she would count the days I worked during the extended graduation period towards the OPT.

Now USCIS wants me to submit letters from my employers for the duration I worked with them. But the employer letter also has the August month I worked for them which reflect that I worked for 12 months on CPT. 

Thanks

Then I was told by my DSO that since I already made an application for OPT, once my OPT gets approved she would count the days I worked during the extended graduation period towards the OPT.

Which obviously is not possible, since the time was counted as CPT, and because of that, the OPT could not get approved at all.

A little bit of logic helps to see the issue.

Neither the DSO nor you seem to have this thought through.

Now USCIS wants me to submit letters from my employers for the duration I worked with them. But the employer letter also has the August month I worked for them which reflect that I worked for 12 months on CPT. 

That's because you DID work on CPT. You never got OPT, so this work was in CPT. And that's why you won't get OPT.

Archived