Passport lost with valid h4 visa & I-94...

Harini Chokshi

Hi, 

I lost my Indian Passport in US (by sending it to IRS, and IRS lost) with Valid H4 Visa and I-94 . We filled a complaint in police and got a new passport. 

My questions/doubts:

1. Can i get my H4 visa stamped here in US at nearest Indian Embassy OR I have to travel back to India to get my H4 Visa stamped again?

2. Can i get my drivers license just by showing passport without visa stamped on it? If not, is it possible to get some kind of status confirmation or proof of my status Or i have to wait till i get my visa again?

3. How do i get my new I-94? 

Hi, 

I lost my Indian Passport in US (by sending it to IRS, and IRS lost) with Valid H4 Visa and I-94 . We filled a complaint in police and got a new passport. 

My questions/doubts:

1. Can i get my H4 visa stamped here in US at nearest Indian Embassy OR I have to travel back to India to get my H4 Visa stamped again?

2. Can i get my drivers license just by showing passport without visa stamped on it? If not, is it possible to get some kind of status confirmation or proof of my status Or i have to wait till i get my visa again?

(1) Visas are issued by US consulates and not Indian consulates. You need to get your H4 visa by traveling outside US.

(2) You need proof to show that you are in valid status in US.

(3) You have to exit and re-enter US to get a new I94.

My questions/doubts:

1. You have to get the visa from US consulate not from Indian Consulate

2. You need 797 for DL.

3. Just cross the border and enter with new I94.

OP,

a slim ray of hope..there is a national shredding center where all lost PPs end up..just like pet shelter..google for it..if I remember correctly, they store the PPs of other nationals for a month before shredding..

Really??? That will be good for OP.

But, I assume OP is beyond that one month as she had filed a police report and also obtained a new passport which would take time.

Archived