Calling all Toronto 221Gs

kalyan_chakri31

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got clearance email yesterday afternoon. 56th Day of waiting.

Will be mailing them my passport today.

Summary:

25th September interview. (F1 visa renewal, I was on OPT status).

221G Yellow given.

1st Status update date 16th October.

2nd Status update date 15th November.

Clearance email received 20th November.

Congrats f1studentOPT!!! Good to know backlogged cases are clearing as well.... so at least someone is looking at them.

Is there any one for whom the case status did not update yet???

I went to Interview on OCT 21st and still my Case update date is just the same. I did not see even once my case is getting updated.

@uppuluriv: Hi - I took my interview on 5th NOV, so far nothing from my end. Both Case creation date & Status updated date are same. :(

NOTE: Folks, please add your info into "checkee" - for easy tracking (look my post @ Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:54 PM) - http://forum.murthy....221gs/?p=258622

Why do not you write email to consulate. They should give you an answer if your case is pending for >60 days. What is your background. Science? See my earlier post. They would like to help the people like us. Good luck.

Hey,

maverick.dexter - 9/24/13
justin9 - 9/25/13
Archan - 9/30/13
chavvavijay - 9/30/13

Any of you guys still stuck in Toronto? 

I Interviewed on 9/11/13 and still haven't got a clearance.

@NIVApplicant

I did write to the consulate several times.

Before the 60 days had passed their standard response was:

Your case was subject to a legally mandated review.  As previously noted, our consulate has no control over the pace or scope of that review, and there are instances of these reviews taking well over 60 days....

After 60 days had passed their standard response changed to:

We wish there was more we could do for individuals in this situation, but our consulate has no control over the pace or scope of that review.  There are instances of these reviews taking several months..... 

Curious to know where you read about - They should give you an answer if your case is pending for >60 days? From what I have heard any escalation procedure a legal counsel can take is after 60 business days... so 90 total days.

Yes my background is science. I just read your previous post where you mention the ***.edu email. Can you elaborate on how they can help?

Everyone who is waiting. Here are a few things I did that may help

1) Please also call your Senator. 

You don't need any special connections. Most states have 2 Senators. Find out who they are. Call their office, explain the situation to them. They usually have an immigration person on staff. They might tell you that the best they can do is do an inquiry, and that is o.k. - it won't hurt. They may have you sign a privacy waiver form so they can inquire on your behalf.

I did this, and I don't know if it helped, but I got the approval email next week, so it definitely didn't hurt.

In case you have problems getting this as an individual, ask your employer to contact the same office. As local employers, I am sure their voice would be heard.

2) Green 221Gs (TAL): If you work on things in the public domain, and use knowledge in the public domain, have your employer send a letter.

I had a green 221g, so I also asked my employer to send a letter to the consulate saying that all the work that I do is in the public domain, and the knowledge I need to do my job is also in the public domain. This is true in my case, so if you work at some top secret national lab, obviously you can't say that. This may also help. The letter also explained that they really would like to have me back at work as soon as possible.

3) Call any other authority or prominent organizations in your field (such as National Academy of Sciences) who can help.

I didn't do this, but NIVApplicant did, and I would not be surprised if it helped. Most of these prominent organizations are setup to help their constituents. They may not have a set procedure to do so like a Senator, but if you ask them to write a factual letter explaining the value of your work and that it is in the public domain, they would be very open to it.

@ALL

This is my Case Summary:

Interview Date: 24th Sept

Received 221g green slip and asked to submit CV/resume

1st Status Update: 16th Oct

2nd Status Update: 15th Nov

3rd Status Update: 18th Nov

Received clearance email on 18th nov submitted the passport in person on 19th Nov

Received passport today with Visa. I picked up in person at consulate.

Good Luck everyone!

mav

@heuristix: 

Hello,

I had appointment on Nov 19th'2013 at Toronto and got Green Slip and the VO said that it might take 1-2 weeks. I read your post, can you please elaborate on "In case you have problems getting this as an individual, ask your employer to contact the same office. As local employers, I am sure their voice would be heard." 

What can I ask my employer to write and to whom? What did you do exactly? Please advice, so that I can ask my employer to help me. 

How many days did you wait to get your passport in your hands with Visa Stamped? 

Thanks. 

Guys,

Its been more than a month for me... 

I attended interview on OCT 21st and got 221g green slip

My updated case status on CEAC Website did not change till now. Its still showing OCT 21st as my last update date.

I was planning to go to consulate again on thursday  NOV 18th to find out what is happening on my case.

Can any one suggest if this one could help??

I got interviewed on November 4th in Toronto, Canada and VO approved my visa and told me to collect the passport within 2-3 business days. The interview also went very well. I checked my status online https://ceac.state.g...er/Status.aspx?. It states refused. The case was last updated on November 4th only. On 12th I received an email for sending paystubs and IT returns and I submitted them on 13th. Since then i haven't heard anything from them.

@ Exiled-by-221G  : I was late to reply. Finally I came to USA. To answer your question, call the number to that international Visitors Office. They would take the initiative to clear your visa. I should not be rude to you but you have to take initiative. Nothing will come to you at all. You have to do phone call from your end. Ask their help !!! 

Tel: +1 ********* Fax: +1 ********** Email: ******************

@NIVApplicant

I did write to the consulate several times.

Before the 60 days had passed their standard response was:

Your case was subject to a legally mandated review.  As previously noted, our consulate has no control over the pace or scope of that review, and there are instances of these reviews taking well over 60 days....

After 60 days had passed their standard response changed to:

We wish there was more we could do for individuals in this situation, but our consulate has no control over the pace or scope of that review.  There are instances of these reviews taking several months..... 

Curious to know where you read about - They should give you an answer if your case is pending for >60 days? From what I have heard any escalation procedure a legal counsel can take is after 60 business days... so 90 total days.

Yes my background is science. I just read your previous post where you mention the ***.edu email. Can you elaborate on how they can help?

Appointment date: 11/18/13 

I have come to Canada from the USA previously to get H1B stamped in Ottawa 2009 successfully. This appointment was for visa stamping for the third time with I-140 approved under EB2. 

The conversation went something like this 

VO: What company do you work for? 

immitraveler: XXX company 

VO: What do you do? 

immitraveler: Electrical engineer....blah blah blah 

>> Started typing the verbal information spoken 

VO: Can you provide your resume? 

immitraveler: Provided the hard copy of the resume 

VO starts typing a lot 

In short seems like some keywords of importance were getting entered/searched in the system. 

VO: Please submit a copy of your resume in MS Word format via email 

VO: Hands Yellow 221g marked Administrative Processing & Green 221g with writing in Pen to submit Word format of resume via email 

11/18/2013 evening: sent email to the consulate as per VO had hand written the email on the 221g asking for the .doc format of the resume. 

11/18/2013 evening: instant email back from email system thanking for allowing them to serve us...etc (seems auto generated) 

11/19/2013 noon: 2nd email in RE: thanking submission of the documents required as per the 221g and mentioned that will be contacted as needed for next steps. 

If anyone has similar experience or has received both a green and yellow 221g please post conditions (especially from Toronto).

Archived