Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

OPT or CPT or activate old H-1

Recommended Posts



Here is the current situation.


  • I was on F1- OPT status on phd when employed.
  • I couldn't finish thesis in  time so change to H-1.
  • Then I change back to F-1  to complete thesis
  • If I want to do job after finishing this long study 
  • Can apply for OPT again  called post completion OPT for remaining    17 months  (month 29 month - 12 months)? 
  • Can apply for CPT again since I used CPT for 9 month previously too
  • Or Can I activate my H-1 and start work as soon as I get I-799 COS F1 to H1  receipt. If it denied then I have to go back and come with visa stamp and resume same job

 Thanks in advance for your consideration and help.

Share this post

Link to post

1. Avoid CPT. That's a career killer nowadays.

2. For OPT, you have to be enrolled fulltime for one academic year.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this