Successful H1B stamping in Toronto

db362

I applied for H1B stamping in Toronto and interviewed for it today -- Just wanted to share my experience for the community:

Appointment date: 6th Sept 2011

-> Morning 8 am appointment -- not many people in queue.

-> Upon entering the consulate building, they ask for your DS-160 print out and passport and put them in a plastic envelop.

-> Then you go to a counter for initial document check -- they asked for I797 and kept it with them along with passport and DS-160. Here you will receive a token number.

-> Call out for finger printing

-> After sometime, call out for interview

VO: How are you?

ME: Good thanks, how are you?

VO: Good too. Thanks

VO: So you went to xyz school before joining this company?

ME: Yes. ( The VO had full record of previous visas and all on his computer, of course.)

VO: Okay, you did your MBA here, right?

ME: Yes.

VO: What do you do for this company?

ME: I am xyz in the company.

VO: Are you working as a consultant or a employee.

ME: I am a direct hire employee working in xyz group in the company.

VO: Any major clients the company is working with?

ME: xyz

VO: Okay, your visa is approved. ( The VO kept the passport and I-797 with him and handed me a white paper which lists that passport would be available by DHL and all in 2 - 3 business days etc)

ME: Thanks!

The whole interview was over in 3 minutes -- no documents asked. Although I carried with me I-129, employer letter and recent payslips as was mentioned in the visa appointment letter.

Background: I am working in a interactive marketing agency as a employee for last couple of months with an approved I-797. I only needed the stamp as I may have to travel abroad.

Now waiting to collect my passport from DHL facility -- Will update when I receive the passport.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!!

Do we need visa to enter in Canada? How much time before an appointment should be taken?

Also, I am on L1B working in the US and my visa expired end of aug last month. My extension is approved and waiting for the approval documents.I heard lot of scarry tales from friends who went to India and got stuck with stamping issues. Is it ok to go to Canada for stamping? I have to travel to India in Nov and do not want to risk stamping there. What do you suggest?

Sai_bs:

Yes we need a visitor visa to enter Canada. Check the canadian embassy website for info. Generally, if you apply in person, you can get the visa same day. It's no big deal pretty straight forward process.

For U.S. visa stamping in Canada for *ANY* visa class, I think they stress on having a US educational degree -- If not, they *advise* to apply in home country.

Originally posted by db362:

I applied for H1B stamping in Toronto and interviewed for it today -- Just wanted to share my experience for the community:

Appointment date: 6th Sept 2011

-> Morning 8 am appointment -- not many people in queue.

-> Upon entering the consulate building, they ask for your DS-160 print out and passport and put them in a plastic envelop.

-> Then you go to a counter for initial document check -- they asked for I797 and kept it with them along with passport and DS-160. Here you will receive a token number.

-> Call out for finger printing

-> After sometime, call out for interview

VO: How are you?

ME: Good thanks, how are you?

VO: Good too. Thanks

VO: So you went to xyz school before joining this company?

ME: Yes. ( The VO had full record of previous visas and all on his computer, of course.)

VO: Okay, you did your MBA here, right?

ME: Yes.

VO: What do you do for this company?

ME: I am xyz in the company.

VO: Are you working as a consultant or a employee.

ME: I am a direct hire employee working in xyz group in the company.

VO: Any major clients the company is working with?

ME: xyz

VO: Okay, your visa is approved. ( The VO kept the passport and I-797 with him and handed me a white paper which lists that passport would be available by DHL and all in 2 - 3 business days etc)

ME: Thanks!

The whole interview was over in 3 minutes -- no documents asked. Although I carried with me I-129, employer letter and recent payslips as was mentioned in the visa appointment letter.

Background: I am working in a interactive marketing agency as a employee for last couple of months with an approved I-797. I only needed the stamp as I may have to travel abroad.

Now waiting to collect my passport from DHL facility -- Will update when I receive the passport.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!!

When you left US, did you surrender lower part of I-797A (I-94) at the airport? Please advise.

Originally posted by sai_bs:

Do we need visa to enter in Canada? How much time before an appointment should be taken?

Also, I am on L1B working in the US and my visa expired end of aug last month. My extension is approved and waiting for the approval documents.I heard lot of scarry tales from friends who went to India and got stuck with stamping issues. Is it ok to go to Canada for stamping? I have to travel to India in Nov and do not want to risk stamping there. What do you suggest?

suggest going to india.

Canada isn't all that rosy either. there are a lot of instances of admin processing even in canada. You need to go one day prior to pay the fees and stay one m ore day to pick up the passport. so, expensive in a nutshell. employers may allow you to conside interview time as not vacation so, you can stay longer in india. weigh your options carefully.

Archived