Can H4 visa interview date be taken before marriage?

useful_information

Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding H4 visa and would really appreciate if anyone could answer them.  I am on H1B visa and am getting married in December 2013 and I am planning to get a H4 visa interview date now for my to-be-wife for a date after our marriage.

1. Is it fine to apply for H4 visa(for my to-be-wife) and get an interview date now(i.e. before marriage)?  Will there be any official issues during the interview that she applied for H4 visa while she was still engaged(not married)?

2. If it is fine to apply for H4 visa before marriage, what should be filled in the "marital status" and relationship with me?

3. I am planning for an interview date around 16 December 2013 so how much before this date does the interview appointment dates become available for someone to select it?

If anyone can share their personal experiences and what they did in this situation, it will be very much appreciated.

Thank You!

Hi All,

I have a few questions regarding H4 visa and would really appreciate if anyone could answer them.  I am on H1B visa and am getting married in December 2013 and I am planning to get a H4 visa interview date now for my to-be-wife for a date after our marriage.

1. Is it fine to apply for H4 visa(for my to-be-wife) and get an interview date now(i.e. before marriage)?  Will there be any official issues during the interview that she applied for H4 visa while she was still engaged(not married)?

2. If it is fine to apply for H4 visa before marriage, what should be filled in the "marital status" and relationship with me?

3. I am planning for an interview date around 16 December 2013 so how much before this date does the interview appointment dates become available for someone to select it?

If anyone can share their personal experiences and what they did in this situation, it will be very much appreciated.

Thank You!

A visa appointment could be booked before your wedding. But, the visa interview has to be after your wedding.

Normally visa appointments are available within a week in India

Hi All,

Could you someone please answer these questions?

I called the US visa services in Mumbai four times and I got different answers from them.

1st person - Your wife can fill the marital status as single in DS -160 and then show documents for the proof of marriage at the time of interview.

2nd person - Your wife can fill married in the marital status in DS - 160 as she will be married at the time of the interview.

3rd person - Same as person 1 and in addition he said after marriage fill out another DS - 160 with marital status as married and then in the interview say that she got married and filled out a new DS 160.

4th person - Your wife should fill married in the marital status in DS - 160 as she will be married at the time of interview and also H4 visa application is for married individual only and so putting single in the form is INCORRECT.

Please give some feedback.

Thanks.

Hi All,

Could you someone please answer these questions?

I called the US visa services in Mumbai four times and I got different answers from them.

1st person - Your wife can fill the marital status as single in DS -160 and then show documents for the proof of marriage at the time of interview.

2nd person - Your wife can fill married in the marital status in DS - 160 as she will be married at the time of the interview.

3rd person - Same as person 1 and in addition he said after marriage fill out another DS - 160 with marital status as married and then in the interview say that she got married and filled out a new DS 160.

4th person - Your wife should fill married in the marital status in DS - 160 as she will be married at the time of interview and also H4 visa application is for married individual only and so putting single in the form is INCORRECT.

Please give some feedback.

Thanks.

You can fill the DS160 form as married and use the same with out any issue.

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I read the below online and am confused if writing the marital status as "married" in DS 160 before marriage would conflict with the below statement.

"By providing your fingerprints, you will again certify that that you have answered all questions on the DS-160 truthfully and to the best of your knowledge, and that you will tell the truth during your visa interview. You will be directed to read the following statement prior to having your fingerprints scanned:

“By submitting my fingerprint, I am certifying under penalty of perjury that I have read and understood the questions in my visa application and that all statements that appear in my visa application have been made by me and are true and complete to the best of my knowledge and belief.

Furthermore, I certify under penalty of perjury that I will tell the truth during my interview and that all statements made by me during my interview will be complete to the best of my ability.”

Thanks

Archived