Can I travel right before applying for US citizenship

mna123

I got my GC on March 19th 2009 so I am eligible to apply for US citizenship on Dec 19th 2013 (right? 3 months grace period)

I am planning to travel from Nov 28th to Jan 2nd aborad for vacations.

Some one told me you can not travel abroad 3 months before applying for citizenship. Is it true? Does it mean if I come back on Jan 2nd then I cant apply for US citizenship till April 2nd.

Also is it this possible that my friend can send my citizenhip documents on Dec 19th (eligibility date) on my behalf when I am gone abraod or do I need to be in country to apply for citizenship myself? 

As long as you qualify after including these dates when you will be out, it is certainly possible for you to apply. Residence is not physical presence. That somebody has no clue. Look at a calendar and make sure of your 90 days giving yourself a grace period of a day or 2 or 3.  You do not need to be here to apply if all requirements are otherwise met. In any case why the extreme urgency? If you apply in January you will still be a citizen eventually.

I got my GC on March 19th 2009 so I am eligible to apply for US citizenship on Dec 19th 2013 (right? 3 months grace period)

You can actually apply 90 days (not 3 months, there is a slight difference) before the 5th anniversary.

Some one told me you can not travel abroad 3 months before applying for citizenship. Is it true?

No.

Archived