STEM extension OPT (Corp-to-Corp E-verify)

sm83

Situation: (OPT card not recieved)
I did my PhD from a Ivy league university. I am currently a postdoctoral fellow on my first year of F1-OPT, which expired July 14th, 2013. I am awaiting my 17-month STEM extension OPT card, which has taken more than its routine 3 months processing time (don't know why) and is yet to be approved. --I know by default I get a 180 day extension.
Associated Problem: (Changing jobs) I would like to change jobs starting October 1st 2013. to work for a ed-tech company (say A) as a Data-Scientist. 'A' is not e-verified. However, they will be rerouting my salary through a e-verified recruiting firm 'B' (corp-to-corp as they put it to me). I spoke with my PhD university. They say, as long as I provide all details of company B including e-verify number, they don't have an issue. Is this legally possible? Will there be problems for me later on when I apply for a GC or H1B.

While it is technically possible, I wouldn't do this. The reason is that your resume would list B, and not A. Working for a shady consulting company would be a black mark on your resume, and would likely result in problems getting good jobs later on.

Why would A not do e-verify? If they really want you, they would.

I am not so much worried about being able to land jobs later. I have very authentic degrees with Ivy League schools and an excellent academic and publication track record. But what I would like to know is, what company name must my updated I-20 have? Will it be the e-verifying company (B) or the actual company (A) where I will be working. For instance, I pulled the information below from a USCIS webpage, but it is non-specific on this aspect:

What E-Verify information is required for an F-1 STEM student to extend his or her OPT?

The student must provide his or her employer’s name and its E-Verify company ID, or Client Company ID if it uses a third party designated agent to perform its verification queries, in item #17 of the Form I-765 (revised 04/08/08).

I am not so much worried about being able to land jobs later. I have very authentic degrees with Ivy League schools and an excellent academic and publication track record.

And all that would be put into question if you sign up with a shady consulting company.

I would look as if you weren't all that good as you claim.

You obviously haven't been on the other side of a recruiting process. I have.

Archived