Gun permit under H1B

GNH

Does anyone know the laws governing gun ownership on H1B in the state of Michigan?. I have heard conflicting information, that you cannot get a permit if not a citizen or LPR and on the other hand, I hear if you get  a hunting permit first,you can then get the gun. Any information will be welcome,

You should give local gun shops a call and ask. No permit is needed to buy a gun in Michigan. Alternatively call the non emergency number of your police precinct and ask about procedures for getting a gun for protection. You can also enroll in a firing range and besides getting trained you will be able to get information about buying a gun. Technically not an Immigration matter?

Ponte, followed your advise and called up a gun shop, you do not need permit to own guns in Michigan IF you are a citizen or a LPR. A non immigrant cannot buy guns in Michigan. However if you have a hunting licence which a non immigrant is eligible for, you can buy a rifle or a shotgun but not a handgun. The local police precinct gave the same advise, I could buy a shotgun or rifle after getting a hunting licence and keep it in my house and use it for protection if needed. However I will not qualify for a handgun and hence a concealed gun permit till I become a citizen or LPR.

• 1 year later...

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/Publications/Firearms.pdf

28.426 Issuance of license; conditions. Sec. 6. A license shall not be issued to an applicant under section 2 or 5b unless both of the following apply: (a) The issuing agency has determined through the federal national instant criminal background check system (NICS) that the applicant is not prohibited under federal law from possessing or transporting a firearm. (b) If the applicant is not a United States citizen, the issuing agency has verified through the United States immigration and customs enforcement databases that the applicant is not an illegal alien or a nonimmigrant alien.

Above could change. Please confirm with your local police/sheriff.

Archived