Anyone received approvals - Aug 2013 Bulletin

sriks78

1. To the guys who got their GC's, did you make any followup phone calls/SR's/infopass etc after Aug 1st

2. Is  Green card good enough for people to get "instate" tuition fees at the universities  or they have to be US citizens ( if this year  we do not get GC, my child may have a GC but not become US citizen in time for her starting University)  

GC makes you eligible for instate. I checked this with Metrostate.edu and they mentioned a student is on Visa they have to pay out of state fee, else you should pay instate fee.

2. Is  Green card good enough for people to get "instate" tuition fees at the universities  or they have to be US citizens ( if this year  we do not get GC, my child may have a GC but not become US citizen in time for her starting University)  

Residency requirement qualifies for eligibility for In-state tuition. i.e how many days you lived in that state, it has nothing got to do whether you are on H1/LPR/USC

• 3 weeks later...

Residency requirement qualifies for eligibility for In-state tuition. i.e how many days you lived in that state, it has nothing got to do whether you are on H1/LPR/USC

In-state tuition rules vary somewhat from state to state (remember public universities and colleges are state institutions, not federal, and private universities and colleges can even have further rules).  In reply to nr2006's post above, many states do not offer in-state tuition to someone on a non immigrant visa, such as H, L, etc.  It is only available to U.S. citizens and permanent residents (= immigrant visa).  Some states, such as Texas do extend in-state tuition to long term residents on non immigrant visas (e.g. 3 years, graduated from a state high school, etc.).

Archived