Question on entering the US on a Tourist VISA without traveling to the home country

that_dude

Hello murthy.com guru's 

First time poster here, so feel free to educate me on any questions if you think any information is missing and/or incomplete. 

My mother-in-law would like to visit the United States to spend some (more) time with her granddaughter and we are confused about a couple of things. 

Bit of a background: 

She first came to the states when our daughter was first born on: 12/6/2011
Visa Category: B1/B2
She left the United States for India on: 5/24/2012
Time period in the United States: 169 days

She then re-entered about 6 months later on 11/26/2012
Total time outside the united states: 180 days
She left the United states for Canada on: 5/10/2013
Time period in the United states: 151 days

Her trip to Canada was to help out a family member who was diagnosed with cancer and who has now healed well. 

She would like to come back to the United States in early November once again to spend some time with our daughter (tentatively another 6 months) and we are confused if the immigration authorities will have any problems with this.

Question1: 

I understand the maximum time period for stay in the US on a B1/B2 visa is 180 days. What is the period of assessment for the immigration officer to determine entry/exit into the United States based on which they would grant entry for the next entry (e.g. 1 month/2 month/6 months etc) is it per calendar year (e.g. 1 Jan 2013 - 31 Dec 2013) or is it based on the date of first entry (which in my mother in law's case would be 12/6/2011) 

Question2: 

Assuming she comes from Canada -> United States in October 2013, will there be any issues for the immigration officer to grant her a 6 month permit to stay in the US? 

Question3:

Assuming she travels back to India in Sept 2013 and comes from India -> United States in November 2013, will there be any issues for the immigration officer to grant her a 6 month permit to stay in the US? 

Thank you for taking the time to look through this and give your thoughts!
TD

Of course there is an issue. She appears to be attempting to live in the US on a visitors visa. In a little over 1 1/2 years she has spent nearly 1 year in the US - and you want her to come back for another 6 months or  nearly 1 1/2 years in less than 2 1/2 years. She needs to go home for a l-o-n-g time; she should come back next spring at the earliest.

Archived