Can I get my and my wife's driver's license before the starting date of OPT?

buddhi

I am living in New Jersey now after moving from Virginia. I went to DMV to renew our driver's licenses with OPT, but our application was rejected for OPT starting date is July 18th. The agent told me that I have to come the very day (7/18) to renew my driver's license. Also, she told me that my wife cannot renew her driver's license since she did not apply for OPT. I told her that our I-20s prove her status, but she told me that New Jersey DMV considers I-20s issued by Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York as valid. I checked the Fact Sheet, and found that it recommends to apply for renewal three days ahead of the starting date. The problem is that my flight is scheduled next Tuesday (16th), and my wife will remain here in New Jersey. It is said that she cannot renew her license without the presence of the primary status holder. Please advise me how to get through this situation. Thank you for your advice in advance.

Hi t75,

I am not trying to find a way to bend the rules. My question is the agent's knowledge on this issue is correct or not, and if she misunderstood rules, in what way i can persuad her or other agents in that DMV. Also, I am asking if the driver's license must be renewed on the starting day of OPT. Thank you.

Postpone your travel.

Take you wife with you.

Archived