Immigration Reform 2013, H1B and the undocumented

mj129

So if the immigration reform passes, that means that 11 million undocumented aliens will be now be authorized to work. They are also increasing the cap on H1Bs. However, does that mean that these undocumented aliens, with the work authorization that they have, can work for multiple employers? So they can have a day job and at the same time freelance? While H1B holders will still be basically chained to their employers and are unable to do freelance or consultation work on the side? How is that even fair?

While H1B holders will still be basically chained to their employers and are unable to do freelance or consultation work on the side? How is that even fair?

How can you expect fair justice when you are doing/ following the law??

Did you noticed in that proposal, their is not even a single line mentioned about those fraud employers who have been exploiting these undocumented aliens.

Most unethical statement from an senior member.

Does it mean that working illegally is justified?? Exploiting people is fair??

Exploiting these people is of course not fair. That's why it is important to legalize them.

My point was that it won't result in job market pressure.

You guys DO NOT understand my point. So if these undocumented workers are authorized to work, that means they can work for MULTIPLE employers, correct? Meanwhile, on an H1B, you are REQUIRED to work ONLY for your employer. That means you CANNOT freelance or do consultation work on the side. How is that fair?

Undocumented alien = can work for multiple employers FREELY

H1B workers who are LEGALLY here = chained down to ONE employer = SLAVE

Exploiting these people is of course not fair. That's why it is important to legalize them.

My point was that it won't result in job market pressure.

what about the people who have exploited them?? Are they gonna cancel their business license??

Nothing was mentioned about them in this proposal.

You guys DO NOT understand my point. So if these undocumented workers are authorized to work, that means they can work for MULTIPLE employers, correct? Meanwhile, on an H1B, you are REQUIRED to work ONLY for your employer. That means you CANNOT freelance or do consultation work on the side. How is that fair?

Educated people don't throw words like "slave" around.

You are NOT a slave. Nobody forced you to take a job with some shady consulting company. NOBODY forced you to even go to the US on H1.

I suggest getting an education. Right now, you only show to the world that you are uneducated, and shouldn't even have gotten an H1.

H1B workers who are LEGALLY here = chained down to ONE employer = SLAVE

CIR only accounts for the illegals already in the country..no provisions for "future" illegals..

but for legals, it gives the benefits indefinitely in the future too..

can u understand the difference..

So if these undocumented workers are authorized to work, that means they can work for MULTIPLE employers, correct?

anything stopping them now from working multiple jobs?

and what explotn?..only thing getting exploited is Uncle sam., not getting any taxes from them..

But you said that we can't,since we are not citizens.

You can of course contact your local Congressperson. If it would have any effect is another issue...

Where I used to live when my GC was pending, the Congressperson was an anti-immigrant from the GOP who was also against the H1. It didn't make much sense for me to contact him back then...

You can of course contact your local Congressperson. If it would have any effect is another issue...

Where I used to live when my GC was pending, the Congressperson was an anti-immigrant from the GOP who was also against the H1. It didn't make much sense for me to contact him back then...

We got same problem here. Anyhow, I just sent an email yesterday. Honestly speaking I don't think they will respond to it.

You are NOT a slave. Nobody forced you to take a job with some shady consulting company. NOBODY forced you to even go to the US on H1.

I suggest getting an education. Right now, you only show to the world that you are uneducated, and shouldn't even have gotten an H1.

Sorry that may have been a wrong choice of words. I actually don't work for a shady company. I was only saying that because the fact that you can only work for one employer on an H1B and undocumented aliens can possibly work for multiple employers when given authorization is kind of questionable to me.

Sorry that may have been a wrong choice of words. But the reason why I thought of that was, as somebody on a work visa, I've gotten tons of inquiries from individuals and businesses asking if I'd be interested in doing consultation work for them. However, since I am on an H1B, I cannot do that. A lot of times, this isn't really even about money. I sometimes would like to take on small projects for fun, but I cannot do that as well. When you're an artist, it just feels secluded sometimes to be working on the same thing so it'd be nice to take on new challenging work so the fact that I do not have the freedom to do that, that made me feel like H1B visa holders are chained down to their employers. On the other hand, if these 11 million undocumented aliens are given work authorization and may be able to work for multiple employers at the same time, that's just not fair. H1B visa holders did not break any laws so it'd be nice to have a little bit of freedom and a little bit of wiggle room. That's the only thing I'm trying to point out and my apologies if I did not make the right choice of words in my first post.

Archived