Hardship J1 waiver to H1B stamping

SKS2013

I was on J1 for past 6 years and got an approval for a Hardship waiver on medical grounds. I am from India. I have an approval for H1B. Do I have to travel outside to outside US to get a H1B stamped on my passport or I could continue to be in US. I still have 2 more years of training to undergo on H1B.I would appreciate an expert comment on this issue.

The answer to this question depends on facts not discussed here. In most cases, one is eligible to change status to H1B from J after a J-1 waiver is approved, assuming the home residency requirement applies. Individuals who are physicians who received J-1 classification to participate in Graduate Medical Education are not permitted to change status in the United States even if they have received a waiver of their home residency requirements, unless they were granted a waiver to practice medicine for three years in a medically underserved area. Those individuals must leave the US and apply for a H1B visa at a consulate before changing status to H1B.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am US trained MD. I was on J-1 visa, but my hardship waiver application got approved. I will now have to get my H1b visa stamped.

I have been in US for 6-7 years and my concern is that I had an Internal conversion from F1 to J1, will that negatively affect my stamping? My H1b is hospital sponsored.

Thanks-

A prior change of status would not ordinarily present as an impediment to visa issuance at a subsequent visa issuance appointment absent aggravating factors. To determine personal immigration or visa issuance strategy or issues, it is advisable to contact the office of a qualified competent immigration attorney.

Archived