Applying H4 for my wife who is a canadian citizen

mahesh79

Hi All,

I recently got married in India and my wife is a Canadian citizen. I am currently in US on H1B visa, while she is in Canada. I am planning to get her to US on H4 visa later next month. Does she require an appointment in US consulate in Canada to get her H4 visa approved? or can I go to Canada with my approved H1B Visa, I 94 and our marriage registration and she can get H4 stamped directly at the Canada airport, before heading back to US? I am hearing conflicting answers to this, hence would like to know your expert thoughts.

Secondly, Once she is back here in US on H4, I will have to file for my H1B extension which is due next Jan. In which case, should I file for her H4 extension as well?I feel it would be better to file I-539 (H4) for her as well. So that she can continue to stay here in US even after Jan 14th(due date on my current H1B) based on her new H4 approval notice. Without the H4 extension document, I will have to take her again to the Canada border to have her H4 stamping renewed, which means I also have to go for stamping for my renewed H1, which makes me feel uncomfortable. What is the right approach I should be considering here?

Any guidance would be deeply appreciated!

Thanks,
Mahesh

Canadian Citizens are processed at the POE and do not need a visa. She will get an I94 at the POE , say the US CBP in Canada if applicable. Filing the H1 and H4 extensions together is a good idea.

Canadian Citizens are processed at the POE and do not need a visa. She will get an I94 at the POE , say the US CBP in Canada if applicable. Filing the H1 and H4 extensions together is a good idea.

Thanks for your reply so much!!

• 1 year later...

Hi All,

I have the same situation as above. I am a Canadian Citizen. I recently got married, and my husband lives in Detroit, Michigan and is a H1B visa holder. I would like to apply as his dependent on an H4 visa. 

I wanted to find out if I can get the visa directly at the border or do I need to book an appointment with the consulate? He wont be driving with me. Would that be a problem? Also do I need his original I94 or would a copy would do?

I have been going through the website where I found the below information.Not sure if this would apply to my case.  

Visa Services

Canadian citizens are visa exempt and may apply for most types of non-immigrant entry directly at a U.S. Port of Entry or pre-clearance station. Applying for a visa when one is not required is strongly discouraged.

(http://canada.usembassy.gov/consulates/toronto.html#visas)

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Rutvi

• 1 year later...

hi all , 

me and my wife both Canadian Citizen residing in windsor ontario ( border city ) . my wife is on h1b and commute everyday to work to Detroit Michigan. if i want to apply for h4 status all i have to do is go to the us border and ask for h4 and bring my marriage certificate and my wife h1b status approval  ?  

Archived