Immigration Reform 2013

mj129

How will the Immigration Reform affect the application of green cards from H1Bs? Do you think it will impact it in any way or not at all?

What I do not understand from the Immigration Reform is it will be so much easier for illegal immigrants to get citizenship while it's going to be just as hard for H1B visa holders to get a green card? H1B holders who actually came here legally, had to earn a degree to get an H1B, are educated and are paying a high amount in taxes. How is that even fair?

From my understanding, the yearly cap on H1B visas will be increased, but I am only concerned of the current H1B holders who are applying for a green card. Increasing the cap on H1Bs does not equal to an easier path to citizenship.

Please enlighten me. Thanks!

Actually, I believe that the proposed immigration reform bill will decrease the chances of H1Bs qualifying for a GC since there will be far more USCs and LPRs available. PERM will be unable to go forward since there will be a very large number of qualified and unemployed candidates for the job the H1B holds..

Actually, I believe that the proposed immigration reform bill will decrease the chances of H1Bs qualifying for a GC since there will be far more USCs and LPRs available. PERM will be unable to go forward since there will be a very large number of qualified and unemployed candidates for the job the H1B holds..

From where are these LPRs and USCs are coming? I don't see how that number will change.

From where are these LPRs and USCs are coming? I don't see how that number will change.

Eliminating the backlog will of course mean more LPRs, all the people in the queue would become LPRs.

And one of the proposals is reduced wait time for naturalization for some.

LPRs do not have to leave the US at the end of 6 years like H1Bs.  Also, many current graduates do not receive H1Bs and have to return home.  With the new GC rules, many more people will come to the US for school and the shady universities will enroll them no matter their qualifications. The result is many more LPRs joining USCs competing for the jobs and reducing the chance of passing PERM; this means fewer H1Bs getting GCs.

Of course, there are already 1.5 times the number of graduates than jobs in many fields unless you are a woman and fewer than 60% get jobs in their field even without the new numbers.

Prospective workers have "drunk the Koolaid" and think that the US has an endless supply of jobs. It doesn't.

Yeah, but I guess these people are already working, but not the dependents.

the first part of sentence is true and will not make impact available jobs..

but the latter does not have merit..a dependent who has been not working for so many years while waiting for a GC is not qualified enough to compete with an individual thats filing under EB2..

• 1 month later...

With the new GC rules, many more people will come to the US for school and the shady universities will enroll them no matter their qualifications. The result is many more LPRs joining USCs competing for the jobs and reducing the chance of passing PERM; this means fewer H1Bs getting GCs.

This statement doesn't probably reflect the reality. The senate bill clearly states that advanced degree holders from US universities with very high or high research activity will be eligible for a portion of the green cards. Based on this, I think the students from shady universities will face issues in getting green cards based on their degrees. 

Archived