Birth certificate for B2 visa holder from Indian Consulate

testthomas

1) My parents are in USA on B2 tourist visa. Does the Indian consulate in NYC issue birth certificate for B2 visa holders?

2) For birth certificate issuance, Indian Consulate asks to submit proof of US residence by submitting bills/lease etc. My parents are visiting for few months, so they don't have anything under their name. What to do in this case?

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I want to give an answer to the questions I had posted on 23 May 2013.

I visited the Indian Consulate in NYC today with my parents who are on visitor visa.  I wanted to get their birth certificate and non availability of birth certificate.

To answer my own questions and to give all an update:

1. Yes Indian Consulate does issue birth certificate and non availability of birth certificate for visit visa holders.  I got my parents’ birth certificate and non availability of birth certificate today.
  2. On the Indian Consulate website, they have asked to submit US proof of residence.  I had added my parents on my lease agreement and got it notarized.  However, when I went to the consulate, all they asked for is original Indian passport.  They did not ask for any other documents – not even copy of passport, visa page, I-94…nothing.

We reached the consulate at 8:40am. Door opened at 9am.  Got called at the counter by 9:20am.  We submitted the application form and passport and were told to pick up the birth certificate and non availability of birth certificate at 12:30pm on the same day.

Thank you.

Archived