Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

H4 to F1

Recommended Posts


I am currently in H4 visa and planning to do Phd next year by changing my visa status to F1. My husband & I have currently started in Green Card Application process, which take few years to be completed.

Is it possible for me to go to F1 status and come back to H4 status after he has received his Green Card. If I come back , will I be eligible for the Green status too?

Please advice me!! This helps to take some long term important decisions.

Thanks in Advance


Share this post

Link to post

It is possible and almost always needed to get in to F1 status if one goes for a PhD. You can adjust your status in a few years if the dates are current or change to H4 if your spouse is still in H1 status. Be very careful where you seek admission.

Share this post

Link to post

"My husband & I have currently started in Green Card Application process"

Are you sure about this or "your husband started the GC process" and your name will be added at the time of filing I-485 AOS. Till then you will be on H4 and will not be considered the part of GC process. Since you are not the part of GC, you should be able to get COS to F1. Just to let you know that you can study on H4 as well but you will not get on campus benefits or OPT on H4.

YOu can come back to h4 anytime as long as your husband is maintaining valid h1b status.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this