Father visiting me on visitor visa

drnishu

Dear friends,

I am a resident physician finishing my training on June 30, 2013 on H1b. Got Cardiology fellowship starting July 1, 2013 for which I still have NOT applied for fresh H1b.

My father just got visitor visa and I am planning to bring him to US to attend my graduation and to stay with me for about three months.

1) Can he face any problem at POA as my H1b is getting expired on June 30, 2013 and if he comes in last week of May. Obviously, I am

the sole responsible person for his stay, food and any other expenses here in US.

2) Does my father has to buy a return ticket before my current H1b expiration date?

3) Can he safely say at the POA that he is planning to stay in US for about THREE months when my current H1b is getting expired on June 30, 2013? .Of course I will be applying for fresh H1b for cardiology fellowship but immigration people do not have this fact with them.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply. not sure about the $$$ due to the healthcare reform but sure can get $.

Can a person have denial at POA due to lack of proper understanding on american english pronunciation? I am worried my father may not understand everything asked by the VO at POA. Does he again have to prove at POA about his non immigrant intent? It might be difficult for him to explain everything in detail in good english. At the consulate in Mumbai, he had his interview in the local language so things went smooth but how about here???? Any thought?

He will be asked very few questions if at all . The $$$ is not a myth. Health care reform will put more Dollars in your pocket and even at the lowest earning capacity you will be in the 92nd Percentile of American Incomes, assuming you do manage to migrate eventually. Let us not be humble when not necessary. Just kidding or maybe not? He has to prove nothing at the POE if you do not coach him in any way. Usually and generally the I94 will be for 6 months for first time visitors. Once he got a visa he is here on his own recognizance .

hmmmm no Im pretty sure you'll mint $$$ :)

on your father's situation at the POE...again there's nothing to worry about. Im sure there wont be a denial just based on language or lack of understanding English..Its a common thing for VO's at POE..they must have seen 1000's of such cases.

Thanks friends for your valuable input. Obviously he is coming here for the purpose. To attend my graduation, visit me and my family and to see some of the places in US. I taught him to speak the same. I had to coach him on how to deliver the same message to VO in English. And I am not sure why I was using the short form POA?

Not trying to be humble but in this healthcare reform, cardiology is the hardest hit medical field with 40% medicare cuts already and much more to come.

Thanks again for your suggestions. They are reassuring.

Thanks pontevecchio,

That is also a major concern as I will also end up using remaining three years of H1b for the fellowship. My fellowship program will NOT sponsor GC as are most of the residency/fellowship programs. I spoke with my immigration attorney and gave me a suggestion to file NIW in my first year of fellowship and then proceed for self sponsored EB1 in my second year of fellowship. Lets hope for the best!! By the way, one of my senior fellows got a big RFE for the same from USCIS!!!!

sorry I should have searched a bit more.

"Beginning April 30, 2013 CBP will no longer require international non-immigrant visitors to fill out a paper Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record upon arrival to the U.S. by air or sea. The agency will gather travelers' arrival/departure information automatically from their electronic travel records. This automation will streamline the entry process for travelers, facilitate security and reduce federal costs. The electronic I-94 process will be rolled out to the nation's airports throughout April and May of 2013"

Archived