POE Issues or Questions with an Arrest Record..?

Hello All,

I would like to know if someone was in similar situation like mine.

I have green card for last 4-years....

I got arrested about 2-years back for CTA fare and charged with CLASS-A Misd (theft of service)

I got pre-trial and was not charged or admit and took a class and got case dismissed, as per my immigration lawyer you are not even convicted for immigration purpose

Now I want to travel outside for a week, what will happen at POE with me ?

Should they ask just questions and see papers and let me come back easily....?

I have have few questions....

I am worried and hope they dont send me back or put me in removal, as per lawyer I should be OK but I want to check here if someone went thru same and have charged that got dsmissed and travel outside and have experience...?

Also should I apply for my citizenship right away once 5-yrs complete as this should fall under petty theft even if they count it under statue period?

I mean I am sure there are other things they see when deciding citizenship, any help will help....

:)

I guess you will be sent to secondary inspection, and you have to wait for a while while they check your records. If you have just 1 arrest, and even if conviction resulted from that, as per the laws, you will be under the petty offense exception if the convition carries imprisonment for maximum 1 year, and the actual sentence served maximum 6 months.

You will be let go.

As for your citizenship, you should be ok, but there will be some delay in the process as well.

Thanks, Riddhi

There is only one arrest and also it was not conviction because I went pre-trial and they got nolle pros after that. Also as per charge max possible is upto a year so it definately falls under petty theft

So is POE all well aware of petty theft and all? I am just worried and thinking if they will create extra issues for me when coming back? You experience this or any friend of yours?

Also for Citizenship, I hope there is same exception and i get thru and they dont delay, what delay yo talking about?

• 7 months later...

Thanks, Riddhi

There is only one arrest and also it was not conviction because I went pre-trial and they got nolle pros after that. Also as per charge max possible is upto a year so it definately falls under petty theft

So is POE all well aware of petty theft and all? I am just worried and thinking if they will create extra issues for me when coming back? You experience this or any friend of yours?

Also for Citizenship, I hope there is same exception and i get thru and they dont delay, what delay yo talking about?

hey can you update on what happened at POE

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...