Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

The airline folks did not take my I-94 at the airport.

Recommended Posts


I travelled to India to get my H1-B visa stamped . I asked the airline staff to take a copy of I-94 attached to my passport, but they did not do so. In my haste, inexperience and naivete, I did not insist that they take a copy of I-94. I have just now realized my mistake and I would appreciate any advice on what to do next.

I am currently in India, and my appointment is in 4 days time. I have the I-94 attached to I 797 approval notice in addition to old I-94 document. I also have all the documents I would need for my visa interview, but I wanted clarification on this matter. Since I am going to the consulate for the visa interview, I am hoping that proof of presence in another country is a moot point. I have read this article https://help.cbp.gov...a_id/752/kw/i94, but unfortunately, I don't have some of the documents listed in the article. My comments are in bold.

  • Original boarding passes you used to depart another country, such as Canada, if you flew home from there. (I DON'T HAVE IT BUT I HAVE THE PROOF OF TICKET PURCHASE. I ALSO THE EXTRA WEIGHT PAYMENT RECEIPT)
  • Photocopies of entry or departure stamps in your passport indicating entry to another country after you departed the United States (you should copy all passport pages that are not completely blank, and include the biographical page containing your photograph); (HAVE AN INDIAN ENTRY STAMP BUT NO USA EXIT STAMP. PLEASE ADVISE.)
  • Dated pay slips or vouchers from your employer to indicate you worked in another country after you departed the United States, (NOT APPLICABLE SINCE I AM WORKING IN INDIA)
  • Dated bank records showing transactions to indicate you were in another country after you left the United States (I AM OPENING AN NRI ACCOUNT. WOULD THAT HELP?)
  • School records showing attendance at a school outside the United States to indicate you were in another country after you left the United States, (NOT APPLICABLE IN MY CASE)
  • Dated credit card receipts, showing your name, but, the credit card number deleted, for purchases made after you left the United States to indicate you were in another country after leaving the United States. (I DON'T HAVE AN INDIAN CREDIT CARD BUT I AM USING MY FATHER's ADD ON CARD).

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.



Share this post

Link to post

"If you departed by a commercial air or sea carrier (airlines or cruise ships), your departure from the U.S. can be independently verified, and it is not necessary to take any further action, although holding on to your outbound (from the U.S.) boarding pass - if you still have it - can help facilitate your reentry next time you come back to the United States."

This means airline manifests and US records. You are in a position of " Much Ado about nothing", if you get my drift. You have no problem at all.

Share this post

Link to post

No need to worry much, you can always return it from India along with your air ticket and if you've boarding pass then with that. Contact proper attorney or visit govt website for the process.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this