Stupid question but imp

RajKumarShastri

My mom usually comes USA every year - for 5 to 6 months! She has been here atleast 4 times in last 5 yrs.

I'm little scared this year because saw quite a few cases where i94 was issued less than 6 months. My friends says it is risky to get extensions & even if she gets for another 6 months (basically entire year with extension) - she may have to compromise on her next USA visits.

Is it true that her case will get flagged & she will have issue for following years?

Is it wise to go for extensions? Is it true that some cases can get less i94? Please help!!

Guest Noah Lotte

there is no law that requires our border folks to grant a six month admission...and asking for frivolous extensions carries some risk..(it must be frivolous because she hasn't even arrived yet and you are planning to ask for an extension (she cannot be 'sick' nor highly motivated to visit the Grand Canyon). Once CBP decides she is abusing the visa privilege, that privilege can be taken away.

have her visit for whatever period is given to her....period.

Thanks for all your answers & posts - really helpful!

So are there any chances that she can get less than 6 months i94 this time? Or it is always been a case that every one gets 6 months no matter what? Some of my friends says they have seen cases getting 3 months or 4 months also - it all depends on immigration officer? Is that true?? Or is it 100% guarantee of getting 6 months all the time based on current situations of integrations and what does stats says?

I was planning to book tickets neck to neck 6 months - is it suggested that way or not? Please guide me & gimme real and true advise!! Thanks!!!

So are there any chances that she can get less than 6 months i94 this time? Or it is always been a case that every one gets 6 months no matter what? Some of my friends says they have seen cases getting 3 months or 4 months also - it all depends on immigration officer? Is that true?? Or is it 100% guarantee of getting 6 months all the time based on current situations of integrations and what does stats says?

It all depends on the reason for visit.

Guest Noah Lotte

While the frequent default admission time is 6 months, it is not written in stone...at the end of the day, it is up to the CBP officer to decide.

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs! I know it is very hard to get the stats on how many gets all 6 months and how many gets lesser - and if yes how much?

Has anybody recently heard of getting lesser I94? And what is the least that you guys know of? I'm just curious to know how much less CBP officer can give in worst case? Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs! I know it is very hard to get the stats on how many gets all 6 months and how many gets lesser - and if yes how much?

Has anybody recently heard of getting lesser I94? And what is the least that you guys know of? I'm just curious to know how much less CBP officer can give in worst case? Thanks!

In the worst case the officer can deny entry, and send the person back home on the next flight.

Guest Noah Lotte

The unofficial, unwritten 'policy' on admission time for B2 visitors is six months; however, a CBP officer can reduce that time. The main problem is that said CBP officer must track down his or her supervisor (who likely is sipping a latte at a nearby airport Starbucks) and have this new admission time signed off....and most CBP folks don't want to go through all of this...but given sufficient motivation (or if their suspicions are aroused when talking to a new arrival), they will do it and the supervisors are more than likely to agree (since they are rarely bothered anyway by underlings making similar requests). At the end of the day, it's up to you and your mother to 'roll the dice', with the downside being a cancelled visa and great difficulty obtaining a new one (once CBP cancels somebody's tourist visa, their chances of convincing a VO that CBP made a mistake (by cancelling said visa) will be zero. No VO is going to take the side (and often phony story) of the visa applicant over CBP. Something to consider.

Guest Noah Lotte

As a follow up to the above, quite often we hear about a visa being cancelled, and the person involved saying something to the effect that 'CBP said I should get a new visa' ...but the 'getting' part remains a challenge. One can ALWAYS apply for a visa, no matter how ineligible or inadmissible, but obtaining the visa is a different matter. I've also read the diatribe from the holder of the cancelled visa claiming that CBP told them something that was either not true or a half heard statement. At the end of the day, once CBP cancels a visa and sends that person home, they also send to the consulate a written report of this event (on a form called an I-275). In this report, the CBP officer will usually explain why they had doubts about the bona fides of the former visa holder, including parts of the interview with the former visa holder or other information about what was found in their luggage, or even their behavior during the secondary inspection. A good VO will believe every word of this report and will not be receptive to counterclaims by the now very unhappy camper whose visa was revoked. Wild stories told about how 'unfair' or 'rude' the CBP inspector allegedly behaved when yanking the (now) visa applicant out of the line and subjecting him/her to the 'interrogation' and cancelling the visa without any valid reason will be tuned out...after all, who has more to gain by the telling of these stories? The visa applicant? (Y) or the CBP official? (no). Thus, it's easy to figure out who is telling (or told) the truth. Bottom line: once a visa is cancelled, it will be very difficult and/or time consuming to get another one.

Multiple trips to the US of 6-months length may appear to CBP to be evidence of immigrant intent, i.e. intent to reside in the US permanently. In such a case, the applicant can be denied admission. It is preferable to receive a short I-94 than to be denied admission. If an extension is filed in such a case, it is more likely to lead to denial of entry on the next attempted entry.

Thanks for info guys - you gave me a good piece of info & I'm lil scared now. I'll better just go with what I94 period I get during this time if entry.

So does POE matters - like does immigration officers tracks easily if same POE is being used verses new POE each time?

So what I got from all this data above is - it all depends on VO how much I94 period can be given during every visit & it can be less than six months. Also better not to go for extensions.

I heard somebody saying recently about a bill that is getting passed which will make visitors pay taxes - in that case can they stay more and will get easy extensions?

So does POE matters - like does immigration officers tracks easily if same POE is being used verses new POE each time?

Doesnt matter where you land..all POEs are connected thru a Centralized system...they have your info.

So what I got from all this data above is - it all depends on VO how much I94 period can be given during every visit & it can be less than six months. Also better not to go for extensions.

Exactly...I wouldnt say not to go for extensions...go only if you have a very very good reason for it.

I heard somebody saying recently about a bill that is getting passed which will make visitors pay taxes - in that case can they stay more and will get easy extensions?

Never hrd about this bill...dont listen to rumours.

Archived