Visitor visa for mother in-law

vaibh4

Hi,

We want to invite my mother in-law to the US for house warming. My father in-law has applied for passport but with the changes in passport services his passport is stuck in processing from last 6 months or so. We are not sure how many months we will have to wait for passport for father in-law. I am wondering if it is safe to schedule visa interview for only my mother in-law? She already has the passport and all our paper work is in order. We will plan for father in-law's visa interview when his passport arrives. Are there any risks of denial in such case? Or should we wait until his passport arrives and schedule the interview together ?

Any experiences, thoughts, suggestions will be very halpful :)

In general, the U.S. Embassy and Consulate(s) recommend the family (husband, wife and child under 21) to apply together for the visa interview, even if the other family member(s) are not accompanying the primary applicant on this trip. At the outset, leaving the spouse and applying alone may help in evidencing strong ties and reasons to return to home country and could help the applicant overcome the presumption of immigrant intent under Sec 214(b) of Immigration and Nationality Act. Considering the above, it is best that you consult with an immigration attorney before your mother-in-law applies for her B2 visa. If you need further assistance in this matter, please feel free to consult with one of the Attorneys at Murthy Immigration Services Private Limited in Chennai, India. More information is available on https://www.murthyindia.com/.

Archived