In-State residency for college, NOT for those who are on EAD ?

gvbaba

Hello , I badly need an immediate help on below matter.

Currently I am on EAD + AP status ( EB2, was on H1 earlier ) and waiting for my GC as other are.

I have been living in same apartment, same city, same state since 2007, paying SC taxes, bills, holding SC driving license since then. But I have been denied by college for my son's college admission to consider him as 'in-state resident' of our state. ( who is also on EAD+AP status, earlier on H4 ). Reason for this , from college is given as

" have looked back at the EAD card you turned in, and they have now put you in an as I-512 Advance Parole. Unfortunately, When they put you in that status you are no longer eligible for In-state Residency and I have to deny "xxxx"'s Residency for the Fall 2013. Of course once you receive your green card you will be okay for residency for the semester after the green-card is issues as long as you are still full time employed. See regulation below about parolees.

62-604. Non-Resident Aliens, Non-Citizens, and Non-Permanent Residents.

A. Except as otherwise specified in this section or as provided in Section 62-609 (1) & (2), independent non-citizens and non-permanent residents of the United States will be assessed tuition and fees at the non-resident, out of state rate. Independent non-resident aliens, including refugees, asylees, and parolees may be entitled to resident, in state classification once they have been awarded permanent resident status by the U.S. Department of Justice and meet all the statutory residency requirements provided that all other domiciliary requirements are met. Time spent living in South Carolina immediately prior to the awarding of permanent resident status does not count toward the twelve month residency period. Certain non resident aliens present in the United States in specified visa classifications are eligible to receive in state residency status for tuition and fee purposes as prescribed by the Commission on Higher Education. They are not, however, eligible to receive state sponsored tuition assistance/scholarships.

--------------------------------

In their book of rule to be followed while determining residency, they have provision for H visa holders who can be considered as 'in-state residents' , but no where anything specified for those on EAD status !.

May someone Please advise ASAP, as I am not at all in a position to pay out of state fees for my son's college as it is more than double of in-state residents' fees.

• 3 months later...

Archived