Visitor visa I-94

helpme140

Hello,

My in laws were traveling for the 1st time from India to USA. They had a vacation planned over the summer to stay with us here for 5.5 months.

At the immigration, they were only given the I-94 validity date for 2 months.

I was under the impression that generally tourists get a 6 month I-94.

Is there a change in rule? Is there anything we could do now other than changing the flight and having them go back before the expiration date?

We do not want to jeopardize their future travel to US.

Thanks.

Is arrival of grand child and housewarming in new house valid reasons to request for extensions? I understand the officers exercise discretion based on the information they may have about travelers, but i have never heard any of my friends parents getting any less than 6 months when they come here to spend time with family

Is arrival of grand child and housewarming in new house valid reasons to request for extensions? I understand the officers exercise discretion based on the information they may have about travelers, but i have never heard any of my friends parents getting any less than 6 months when they come here to spend time with family

No. Bcos these things won't stop even your in-laws are not in US.

Visitors get an I-94 for the duration required for their business or travel - not always for 6 months.

You need a good reason for an extension. Childcare is NOT a valid reason. You can have the housewarming during the 2 months they are here.

helping your wife to deliver is the reason they got only 2 months..you guys literally abuse all rules and regulations US imposes..and then why cry over spilt milk?

Read the Attorney's posts in this thread http://forum.murthy.com/index.php?/topic/54609-wife-sponsoring-in-laws-visitor-visa-urgent/page__fromsearch__1

And just because you abused the law during your GC process, do not assume everybody is here to abuse the law.

Your wife needs only you to welcome your child. You need to take a baby care class at your hospital/birthing center if you are not comfortable caring for an infant.

If your family returns home according to their current I-94, they will likely get a longer stay the next time they enter and will be able to enjoy the baby when it is fun to be around. (A newborn is not a lot of fun for a grandparent because they do not interact with people. If they come when the baby is 8 to 10 months old, they will enjoy their stay more and you will as well as you and your wife will be able to go out for dinner, etc. without worrying or carting a very small baby and all of the necessary gear with you.)

Archived