H1B REF to prove that my univ is certified as an institution of higher education

harry09

I spoke to my university DSO and they provide me written letter for my NOID RFE query, that mention that ********** uni is accredited and all the other informaiton. but its profit institution. so i dont have any idea. thank you.

Again, the LAW says that for the advanced degree H1 quota, the degree has to come from an accredited, public or non-profit private institution. No but or if.

Does your employer have a lawyer? A good lawyer would have told the employer, and would have filed your application in the normal quota.

As for now, your H1 application WILL get denied. There is no other option.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Rahul412

Hi Rahul, thanks for your response. currently i am on STEM OPT and its valid till July 2013. i am on Stem OPT status rightnow. do you you have any idea what should i do to maintain my status after July 2013? please suggest me if there's something that could help me at this point of situation? I spoke to my university DSO and they provide me written letter for my NOID RFE query, that mention that ********** uni is accredited and all the other informaiton. but its profit institution. so i dont have any idea. thank you.

Sorry dude, no one can help you now. You can work till your OPT expires.

You got no options.

they have the used degree from this uni only and they got approved for 3 years. even they have applied in master's quota. looks like rules change from this 2013FY

The rules have not changed. THis has been in the law from the beginning.

USCIS is now checking, probably in part because of abuse.

Your H1 WILL get denied.

Every good lawyer knows this, and knew this before April.

especially my lawyer is not good at all. he did mistake and he would have applied it for regular quota instead if mater's quota.

Well, you also did a mistake by going to such a crappy school to begin with.

It is always better to study at a real university, e.g., a public university.

that's true. but i didn't know about this rules for profit or non-profit organization. i would have search a lot before entering to the school. anyways, one of my friend just call and he graduate from the same uni when i graduate. he applied for his h1b this year in april 2013. and he said he got RFE about client letter, which he submitted already and its all fix for him. they even didn't ask him anything about what uni is. or is it profit or non-profit. nothing they ask to him. RFE is all about his Client letter. 

well, i have already sent my package with client letter; but they just asking me about my school only. i spoke with my school and they said its happen very rare. so now its all about luck. they are not identify things for each person the same way. its all depends on person who is reviwing the h1b file, its all on his hand. seems true to me. dont know. its just wrong 

he won't get caught. i hope not. but its just ridiculous when it comes to 1% denied and 99% approved case for this kind of issues (profit org-private universities). well, its just all about luck, there's the law/rules for this, but it wont consider here 100%. it;s like 1% they follow this law and 99% they just ignore it and issue the visa easily. even the lawyers says this.  

Hi All,

I have a similar Case so can you help me out

I did my first Master's at an un-accredited University and now I am pursuing another Master's at an Accredited university .

I applied for H1B for this year april 2013 in Masters quota, but i got a RFE from the USCIS saying they did not find my first school as accrediated in their database, so they asked me to send the proof of accrediation of the university at the time of my graduation

Is there any way to respond to this RFE and what other options can you suggest

he won't get caught. i hope not. but its just ridiculous when it comes to 1% denied and 99% approved case for this kind of issues (profit org-private universities). well, its just all about luck, there's the law/rules for this, but it wont consider here 100%. it;s like 1% they follow this law and 99% they just ignore it and issue the visa easily. even the lawyers says this.  

As I said, they may not have checked much in the past, but they do now!

People who try to use a degree from a for-profit institution get denied left and right nowadays. And every good lawyer who keeps up-to-date with things knows that. There are no "99% ignored" cases anymore.

It is a waste of time and money to go to these for-profit institutions. Heck, even state attorney generals, e.g., from Massachusetts,  nowadays crack down on these institutions. One prominent for-profit institution recently closed half of its locations. The time of for-profit institutions is pretty much over. They all have a really bad reputation, and had that bad reputation for years.

Hi All,

I did my first Master's at an un-accredited University and now I am pursuing another Master's at an Accredited university .

I applied for H1B for this year april 2013 in Masters quota, but i got a RFE from the USCIS saying they did not find my first school as accrediated in their database, so they asked me to send the proof of accrediation of the university at the time of my graduation

You can NOT use a "degree" from a non-accredited institution for anything. Such "degrees" aren't worth the paper they are printed on. You can use it as toilet paper...

The H1 WILL get denied.

Hi All,

Their is no way to answer this RFE.

Only option: complete your master's degree from accredited univ and then use that degree for your  H1 next time.

Archived