All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vinayakarya

Can I apply to university for admission and H1 at the same time?

Hello Friends

I am currently working as a FT employee and my current employer has filed for my H1B. My OPT STEM extension expires in July. I don't want to take any chances as i dont have any update if my H1B application picked and its a lottery system.I want to apply for admission to university and continue my master's. Kindly let me know

1. After applying for admission to university if USCIS starts processing my H1 will it be still processed?

Please note that issuance of a new I-20 for another level of study ends your OPT period.

My situation is also similar. My OPT is valid till end of june and I applied for a college. I got acceptance letter and i-20 transfer form (requesting my old college to transfer SEVIS). May i know when my OPT will end now??

Thanks in advance

The OPT period ends at different points depending on whether you are changing schools and/or changing programs. Best is to ask the DSO at one of the schools (or both). In your case, the OPT should be considered to have ended when the SEVIS record is "released" for transfer.