On H1B extension & apply for GC in 6th year

ab65458

Kindly Advice,

My PERM was filed in Apr 2010 and it got cleared by Jul 2010, however due to difference in opinion on filing category EB-2 - EB-3 with employer I didn’t submitted documents to my employer for I-140 filing i.e.; form 8089. Employer was filing on EB-3 and I was insisting on EB-2 as i had 10+ years of experience then; for which i disagree.

Period of stay in US:

Arrived US on 16th Apr 2007 and returned to IND on 14th Apr 2012 {on roll & actual flew on 18th Apr 2013 for tickets},

I have now returned to US on 9th Apr 2013 and on rolls since 10th Apr 2013 {Payroll}.

I have few questions on my case:

1. How much time is remaining on my existing H1B, Has the clock reset for next 6 years (Since i was out of country for 362 days)?

2. If not, Will it reset my cycle of new 6 years if i visit CAN for weeks’ time and travel back to US?

3. Is the old PERM still valid, can I use the existing Labor that was filed in Apr 2010? and Can my employer file I-140 on same PERM?

Kindly share input as i have few months left on my visa.

Thanks

1. Less than an Year

2. No

3. No, No and No

I would suggest you read up on EB eligibility criteria a little before the next filing for PERM with you as beneficiary. As it may sound unreasonable to you with having 10+ years of experience, but that has nothing to do in deciding the EB category for the job. If you have 10+ years of experience and working a job which falls under EB3 then you are working a job for which you are over qualified, not USCIS's fault but the job still is EB3, you may want to find a job which is qualifies for EB2 and will be better suited for your experience and qualification.

Good Luck.

Archived