CPT Related question

RPC1

@JoeF: I am sorry to cross you but I have to say please do not misguide. CPT (whether full time or part-time) is needed when you intend to work off campus (may be internship or temporary job in your field of study) with approval from your university. I am from a reputed university (top 20) and I took CPT twice (one full time and one part time). CPT is the only way for doing internships in US for a foreign student

@RPC1: Technically you have to wait 2 semesters in the field of study to get a full time CPT (you may contact your International students office and they will be happy to assist you)

@JoeF: I am sorry to cross you but I have to say please do not misguide. CPT (whether full time or part-time) is needed when you intend to work off campus (may be internship or temporary job in your field of study) with approval from your university. I am from a reputed university (top 20) and I took CPT twice (one full time and one part time). CPT is the only way for doing internships in US for a foreign student

@RPC1: Technically you have to wait 2 semesters in the field of study to get a full time CPT (you may contact your International students office and they will be happy to assist you)

It's not about the school, its about the rules and regulations

Any work under CPT should be part of your current F1 program, if your CPT work is not a part of your curriculum then that's illegal work. Remember, summer intern can be treated as legal work if that work part of your F1 course-work

@JoeF: I am sorry to cross you but I have to say please do not misguide. CPT (whether full time or part-time) is needed when you intend to work off campus (may be internship or temporary job in your field of study) with approval from your university.

Hmm, no.

There is pre-completion OPT.

CPT is ONLY for work as part of the curriculum, per the LAW!

It is NOT and has NEVER been for work just "in your field."

Hmm, no.

There is pre-completion OPT.

CPT is ONLY for work as part of the curriculum, per the LAW!

It is NOT and has NEVER been for work just "in your field."

An F-1 student may be authorized by the DSO to participate in a curricular practical training program that is an integral part of an established curriculum. Curricular practical training is defined to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school. Students who have received one year or more of full time curricular practical training are ineligible for p ost-completion academic training. Exceptions to the one academic year requirement are provided for students enrolled in graduate studies that require immediate participation in curricular practical training. A request for authorization for curricular practical training must be made to the DSO. A student may begin curricular practical training only after receiving his or her Form I-20 with the DSO endorsement

If you want to start before 1 year, it has to be part of curriculum.

After 1 year, if it is not part of curriculum, it should be under a cooperative agreement.

CPT always has to be part of the curriculum, as per 8 CFR 214.2(f)(10), quoted above.

If the work is not part of the curriculum, then the person has to get pre-completion OPT.

• 3 weeks later...

If it is, the university will work with you to make sure that you fulfill all the requirements.

You can certainly not work for an arbitrary company with CPT.

I did Master's previously and at that time my University has a condition that students have to wait atleast 9 months or 1 year to get CPT.

I am planning to do MBA now in another university. But this university is ready to give CPT from the first day if it is matched with their curriculum. So I just want to know whether it is correct thing to work on CPT from first day of my degree.

If it is fine then why my previous university denied to give CPT in first 9 months?

Is it because it is my second Advance Degree??

I am planning to do MBA now in another university. But this university is ready to give CPT from the first day if it is matched with their curriculum. So I just want to know whether it is correct thing to work on CPT from first day of my degree.

That's against the F1 rules. Just use your brain, why does a person want to work if he/she is interested in doing MBA?

If it is fine then why my previous university denied to give CPT in first 9 months?

Is it because it is my second Advance Degree??

Bcos your previous univ is following the F1 rules.

Dude, remember CPT is just like a course in order to complete your F1 program. So that work should be completely related to your degree and should be treated as a 3 credit course.

I did Master's previously and at that time my University has a condition that students have to wait atleast 9 months or 1 year to get CPT.

No, it is not. No real university will do that.

Stay away from that university. They are shady.

That's against the F1 rules. Just use your brain, why does a person want to work if he/she is interested in doing MBA?

Bcos your previous univ is following the F1 rules.

Dude, remember CPT is just like a course in order to complete your F1 program. So that work should be completely related to your degree and should be treated as a 3 credit course.

No, it is not. No real university will do that.

Stay away from that university. They are shady.

• CPT must relate to your major and the experience must be part of your program of study.
  • When you enroll at the graduate level, your designated school official (DSO) may authorize CPT during your first semester if your program requires this type of experience. Ask your DSO for details.

Source: http://www.ice.gov/sevis/practical-training/

• CPT must relate to your major and the experience must be part of your program of study.
  • When you enroll at the graduate level, your designated school official (DSO) may authorize CPT during your first semester if your program requires this type of experience. Ask your DSO for details.

Source: http://www.ice.gov/s...tical-training/

Well that's what I said. If it is a part of yourF1 program then you are eligible for CPT.

• When you enroll at the graduate level, your designated school official (DSO) may authorize CPT during your first semester if your program requires this type of experience. Ask your DSO for details

Source: http://www.ice.gov/s...tical-training/

Yes, we know that.

In particular, it must be part of your program of study.

The law actually says it must be an integral part of the curriculum.

That means it is not possible to use CPT for some arbitrary work

It also means that it can't be something that you may or may not get. For example, if the curriculum requires an internship, CPT would be used for that. But that means that everybody in that degree program would have to do it. CPT is not for working after some amount of time.

Thanks for confirming that the "university" you want to attend is shady.

Stay away from them.

Archived