Parent Visitor Visa Rejected

ganjoram

Hello,

My mother recently went to Mumbai Consulate for B2 visa interview and got rejected. I will explain the scenario here before i ask the best possible ways to get through, in her second attempt.

1. I am presently on an H1 and have been here since Nov '12.
  2. I am her only child and my mother is retired.
  3. We went with a self sponsorship as we felt it stood a better chance to succeed than me sponsoring her.
  4. We did show sufficient bank balance as much as 12000$ and strong reasons(properties) to return home after 1 month.
  5. I had sent her the invite letter, US Bank statements, W2, pay slips, employment letter.

The questions asked and the answers given were as below.

Q) Purpose of visit?

A) Meet my son and visit places.

Q) How many children do you have?

A) 1

Q) Are you presently working?

A)No, I am retired.

Q) How do you manage your funds?

A) I get my pension and have property leased.

Q) Does your son send you money?

A) Sometimes( I feel this could have been a possible reason for rejection)

Then the VO officer handed her a letter 214B stating Limited ties to home country.

I know since i am her only child it rings an alarm of a potential immigrant and maybe reason for rejection. I would like to get the view from experienced people here on how to go about this. Couple of people recommended me to go with a fresh application with me taking the entire sponsorship. Would this help or revoking the old with any strong reason might help?

Also how soon you all think would be best to reapply.

Thanks,

Because she is not visiting her son, visiting US when her son is in US. As you know H1 job is not guaranteed OP might go back at anytime.

T75 has a good and valid point...OP has been here only since Nov 12...and if his Mom wanted to visit US in general and not when her son is in the US then why at this point is she applying for a Visa..

T75 has a good and valid point...OP has been here only since Nov 12...and if his Mom wanted to visit US in general and not when her son is in the US then why at this point is she applying for a Visa..

Because it is significantly easier to visit US when her son is here. I suppose you are not saying that you or t75 will be a host for her , providing accomodation, taking her to places, if her son is not in US :)

But the fact he has been here such a short time lends credibility to the assumption that she is dependent emotionally if not financially on her son. That is the recipe for an overstay or other abuse of a tourist visa.

well VO has to decide whether she is dependent or not. But my assumption is, she wants to visit US when her son is in US.

Archived