CIR?

tusharvk

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you not been following the news? A bipartisan group of Senators (so-called "gang of eight") have been negotiating 'behind closed doors' on a comprehensive immigration reform bill since shortly after the 2012 federal election. They should be announcing their proposed legislation when Congress returns in the 2nd week of April. There is also a similar effort going on in the House, but there is less information about it. Expect mid-April to be a buzz regarding comprehensive immigration reform (CIR). If CIR continues to make positive movement, a bill could be passed this summer. That being said, there are no firm details yet (only general ideas), and anything can happen -- or not -- and no one should could on any legislation.

I searched every web site for CIR - there is nothing for legal, law abiding immigrants, and the wait continues. First come first, Obama uncle will honor all illegals - citizens within 13 years, legals have to wait 70 years, many folks however, waited more than 15 years, paid all taxes. Is it easy to become illegal from legal? I know porting is possible from EB3 to EB2.

I searched every web site for CIR - there is nothing for legal, law abiding immigrants

And that's probably because people like you have been trying to screw over other immigrants, e.g., with the POS HR3012.

Work together with others, not against them. Until you learn that, things won't improve for you guys.

I searched every web site for CIR - there is nothing for legal, law abiding immigrants, and the wait continues. First come first, Obama uncle will honor all illegals - citizens within 13 years, legals have to wait 70 years, many folks however, waited more than 15 years, paid all taxes. Is it easy to become illegal from legal? I know porting is possible from EB3 to EB2.

If that's the case then it will be called as IIR not CIR.

Anyhow,let's wait till its official.

I searched every web site for CIR - there is nothing for legal, law abiding immigrants, and the wait continues.

There will be some type of employment based immigration 'reform' in the proposed comprehensive immigration reform (CIR) bill(s) (otherwise it would not be "comprehensive"). For example and reference, check the proposed Innovation Immigration (nick named "I-Squared") Act and the Stopping Trained in America Ph.D.s from Leaving the Economy (STAPLE) Act. These proposed bills give an indication of what maybe included in comprehensive immigration reform.

It is very important to remember that even if comprehensive immigration reform (CIR) proposals move forward as bills, it will be several months at best before they would possibly become law.

Illegal immigrants are not "illegal" as activists say, but they should be called "undocumented" - I word should not be used??? Also, legal immigrants should be called "documented". What's up with this?

There will be W-2 visa, and the bill explains: The W visa holders will be able to self petition for permanent status after just 1 year and they are not tied to a single employer. I think it's better to learn fruit picking or grass cutting....

ok. started the thread to get information. Please share links if you have any information regarding CIR progress\ developments.

This forum does not allow links to commercial sites.

You should have read the agreement when you signed up...

You may want to just enter the appropriate search terms into your search engine of choice...

Yaa, dem's didn't like that proposal so didn't pass the bill.

It seems you have missed the fact that a Republican put a hold on that POS bill...

I don't see any immigrant screwing another immigrant. what's wrong if remaining quota is transferred to the backlogged quote??

Sigh. Please go and re-read the tons of discussions at that time.

Lets not get caught up in the old controversies over the ill-conceived H.R. 3012 from the last Congress. That bill died with the 112th Congress (thankfully). Lets take the lessons learned and look forward. The main lesson that everyone should agree upon and work toward is any immigration reform, and especially comprehensive, should be a "tide that floats all boats". In other words, reforming one part of the immigration system should not penalize or take away from another part. This is what was meant by "immigrant screwing another immigrant". (Admittedly, from the stories in the press so far, there could be some immigrant visa types and categories discontinued to provide more visa numbers in other immigrant categories.)

From the latest statements and press reports, both the Senate ("gang of eight") and the House are expected to unveil their respective proposed comprehensive immigration reform (CIR) bills / legislation next week. This is when the 'fun' begins with learning the actual details of what is being proposed, and the legislative review and amendment process begins. There will still be a long, long way to go, with many, many, many ... steps before something is maybe passed, signed into law, and implemented by the USCIS.

Regarding the reports about a proposed new W visa, from what I have read it would seem to 'fly in the face' of foreign degreed professionals and skilled workers with the H-1B visa's restrictions. However, there are no actual details yet, which are needed to make a proper assessment. Also, the W visa could be a 'sacrificial lamb' for the CIR amendment process, with the expectation that it will not make it into any final legislation, at least in the currently understood form.

It seems you have missed the fact that a Republican put a hold on that POS bill...

I am mentioning the current situation of the bill. I know that rep's put a hold but it was lifted later.

Sigh. Please go and re-read the tons of discussions at that time.

It is the congress which has to approve a bill, so where does the immigrants comes into the picture?

From the latest statements and press reports, both the Senate ("gang of eight") and the House are expected to unveil their respective proposed comprehensive immigration reform (CIR) bills / legislation next week. This is when the 'fun' begins with learning the actual details of what is being proposed, and the legislative review and amendment process begins. There will still be a long, long way to go, with many, many, many ... steps before something is maybe passed, signed into law, and implemented by the USCIS.

Thanks for the detailed info.

I am mentioning the current situation of the bill. I know that rep's put a hold but it was lifted later.

All active bills (not passed into legislation) 'die' when a Congress' term ends. Each Congress is convened for a two year term contemporaneous with the federal election every two years. The 112th Congress was convened on January 3, 2011 and ended on January 3, 2013. Accordingly, the "current situation" of H.R. 3012 is that it does not exist as it 'died' on January 3 with the end of the 112th Congress.

Lets not get caught up in the old controversies over the ill-conceived H.R. 3012 from the last Congress. That bill died with the 112th Congress (thankfully). Lets take the lessons learned and look forward. The main lesson that everyone should agree upon and work toward is any immigration reform, and especially comprehensive, should be a "tide that floats all boats". In other words, reforming one part of the immigration system should not penalize or take away from another part. This is what was meant by "immigrant screwing another immigrant". (Admittedly, from the stories in the press so far, there could be some immigrant visa types and categories discontinued to provide more visa numbers in other immigrant categories.)

Regarding the reports about a proposed new W visa, from what I have read it would seem to 'fly in the face' of foreign degreed professionals and skilled workers with the H-1B visa's restrictions. However, there are no actual details yet, which are needed to make a proper assessment. Also, the W visa could be a 'sacrificial lamb' for the CIR amendment process, with the expectation that it will not make it into any final legislation, at least in the currently understood form.

I agree with your points on CIR. Comprehensive means that. Further, fixing only legal component will mean more illegal immigration and fixing only illegal part may be asking for legals to go somewhere else with their education, experience and skills.

That said, I was sorely disappointed that the DACA does not include the aged out children of legal immigrants. Was the exclusion intentional or omission on somebody's part?

As prospective (legal and illegal) PR and future USC, all should ask for stricter border security and not expect to be rewarded for illegal acts to deter future illegal border crossing. That does not mean they should leave for home but be prepared to abide by laws.

There are some constituencies who would make you believe that legal immigration community lacks power and could survive and expect meaningful immigration reform only by wedding their interests with t hose of illegals.

I take strong objection to their views; but note that I am not opposed to overhaul of immigration system (CIR) (legal and illegal components) because of the reasons I mentioned.

You should not be overly apologetic about other pieces of legislation just to appease these "constituencies";

their reasons for making you believe about legal community's powerlessness are obvious.

I was sorely disappointed that the DACA does not include the aged out children of legal immigrants. Was the exclusion intentional or omission on somebody's part?

Thank you for posting your thoughtful reply. I agree with a number of the points, and in particular the quoted statement. I have had discussions, and even debates, about children who were brought to the U.S. on H-4 visas and subsequently "aged out" at 21 while their parent with an approved I-140 petition waits for their priority date to become current being overlooked with respect to so-called "dreamers". The general response has been that they are not the same thing because they are in the U.S. legally (and thus have certain benefits, such as attending college), to which I respectfully do not agree.

This is a deeply personal issue for me, as my son has 'aged out' and lost his opportunity for derivative permanent residency. We had to change his status to a F-1 visa in his 3rd year of university so he could finish his degree in biological sciences (he is graduating next month). His original plan was to work for a year on OPT employment authorization (which he has applied for), and then consider his options. He has now decided to go directly onto graduate school, in part with the hope that there will be a STEM visa by the time he graduates. (He has applied to do a Masters in environmental biology, and is currently waiting to hear back from the department committee who make the admissions decision.) Further, based on the current employment-based backlog, my daughter will also 'age out' before my priority date becomes current. (We have gone ahead and changed her status to a F-1 visa this spring.)

As to whether the exclusion of "aged out children of legal [aliens]" was intentional or an oversight, I do not think it was either as they are simply not considered "dreamers", and DACA benefits do not apply to legal aliens. With respect to comprehensive immigration reform, there was an indication a while ago that the Senate "gang of eight" was considering provisions to address this situation. We will find out in the next few days to couple weeks.

Archived