On H1-B Visa marrying a Citizen who recently got laid off

mihirdave83

Hello everyone,

I'm currently on h1-B visa and soon getting married to my future wife who is a citizen. However I just gor laid off from my company recently an dhave 4 weeks to find a job to transfer my H1B visa, however if I do not find a job and decide to get court married, the legal process will still take time. If it takes longer than four weeks then my H1B visa will get cancelled and I will be out of status.

To avoid the hassle of leaving the country please advice what's a good solution to make the transition process go smoother.

Thank you,

Mihir

"I'm currently on h1-B visa and soon getting married to my future wife who is a citizen."

=> Citizen of where?

However I just gor laid off from my company recently and have 4 weeks to find a job to transfer my H1B visa, however if I do not find a job and decide to get court married, the legal process will still take time.

=> On H1b status, there is no grace period. Today you lose the job, tomorrow you are out of status !

If it takes longer than four weeks then my H1B visa will get cancelled and I will be out of status.

Archived