Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

L2 employment without EAD

Recommended Posts

Hi, I have been going through multiple online sources to understand whether or not L2 holders really need EAD to work in US, but I am still not clear. In the SSA link https://secure.ssa.g...nx/0110211420#g there are 3 sections

1. Aliens authorized to work without DHS document

2. Aliens authorized to work with DHS document

3. Aliens not authorized to work .

I see L2-spouse comes in section 1. Can you please clarify whether my spouse (L2) can start searching job when we land there ?

My spouse has SSN when had visited US last time.

I see following information too.

For COAs displaying a double asterisk (**) (non-immigrant E-1, E-2, and L-2 classifications), the spouse is also authorized to work without specific DHS authorization.

Spouse of an intra-company transferee.

The alien must submit either:

an EAD (Form I-766) showing “A-18” under Category; or

evidence other than an EAD that proves the L-2’s lawful alien status (e.g., I-94) and a marriage document as evidence that he or she is the spouse of the principal L-1 alien.

Appreciate your response. Thanks..

Share this post

Link to post

Although the SSA takes the position that no EAD is required for an L2 foreign national to be able to work, USCIS takes the opposite position. Given that the SSA does not regulate foreign nationals, for the most part, we recommend that foreign nationals in L2 status obtain an EAD prior to commencing to work.

Share this post

Link to post

Per what Attorney_23 posted, the Social Security Administration (SSA) will issue a Social Security Number (SSN) and card to a spouse on a L-2 visa without an employment authorization document (EAD). That is just a SSN. The USCIS requires a spouse on a L-2 visa to be approved for employment authorization to work. In other words, for employment on a L-2 visa a spouse needs both a SSN and a EAD.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this