N600 application for children of naturalized USC

MarylandNed

Does anyone have recent experience of N600 applications for children who became USC's by derivation? My wife and I became naturalized USC's several years ago. 3 of our kids automatically became USC's by derivation at the same time (the 4th was born in the US so none of this applies to her.)

I obtained US passports for the kids but never got around to obtaining citizenship certificates for them. Two of them are now 18+ and want to obtain US citizenship certs. The 3rd is still a minor (16) so I will apply on his behalf.

A few questions/issues:

(1) Can we file all 3 applications together with my one set of supporting documents e.g. naturalization cert, birth cert, marriage cert, etc?

(2) The N600 application notes mention the applicant submitting proof of US citizenship e.g. a valid, unexpired US passport. However, I don't want to submit the kids' US passports because they will be needed for travel and I don't know when I'll ever see them again. I'm sure not every N600 applicant has a US passport anyway so I'm thinking of just submitting a photocopy of the passports instead.

(3) The N600 application notes mention the applicant submitting a "copy of permanent resident card or other evidence of permanent resident status." I'm assuming this means I can just submit a photocopy of the kids' PR cards.

(4) Was anyone called in for an interview? If so, why?

Thanks in advance.

Generally, each application should be supported by its own supporting documents. Copies of documents should be submitted - originals should only be submitted if specifically requested. After filing and interim approval, the applicant is called into the USCIS local office to take an oath of citizenship and receive documentation and materials supporting their citizenship.

Generally, each application should be supported by its own supporting documents. Copies of documents should be submitted - originals should only be submitted if specifically requested. After filing and interim approval, the applicant is called into the USCIS local office to take an oath of citizenship and receive documentation and materials supporting their citizenship.

That's great that photocopies are acceptable. I've since seen that mentioned in the N600 application notes. My concern was the warning on my naturalization certificate regarding copying it without lawful authority. However, I guess I have lawful authority if they are asking for a photocopy of it! Thanks!

• 2 years later...

Archived