visitor visa for sister

sgarg46

Hello

I am planning to bring my sister on B2 visa. She is not married and not working and 26 years old. I know chances are bleak. She helps my mom at home. My quetsion is in DS160 form, under primary occupation, what shall I show - homemaker or not employed. Is homemaker only applicable to married women. sorry might sound a silly question but indeed she does take care of whole house.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Guest Noah Lotte

"unemployed" or "not working"

chances of success in obtaining the visa are somewhere around zero. What will compel her to return? housework? Why wouldn't she accept employment in the US (for instance, child care)? Those are the things (among many) that the VOs will want know. (telling the VO she 'has to return' to take care of her mother leaves one illogical gap....who is going to care for mom in her absence? And why can't that person continue to do so?)

Thanks , I am planning to send my mother and my sister for interview together. i have my younger brother and father who will be staying behind.brother is studying and father has his busines. Though my mother can show that her son and husband is behind to show strong tie and reason to come back. I am struggling for my sister. Truth is my sister does not plan to work and my parents are looking match for her like any another typical indian family. I have been blessed with child recently and I want to bring them here for some time as I wont be able to visit India soon. Do you know any good answer which usually puts unmarried youngs through interview process. It sounds to me as well that homemaker sounds silly but I though unemployed will put more red mark. What can I write reason for being unemployed if I select that in Ds160 form.

Thanks

I should have been more clear.

"unemployed" or "not working"

chances of success in obtaining the visa are somewhere around zero. What will compel her to return? housework? Why wouldn't she accept employment in the US (for instance, child care)? Those are the things (among many) that the VOs will want know. (telling the VO she 'has to return' to take care of her mother leaves one illogical gap....who is going to care for mom in her absence? And why can't that person continue to do so?)

Thanks Noah,

I should have been more clear. I am planning to bring both my sister and mother and will send them together for visa interview. My father is been shown as sponsor. Do you think that a reason will make sense to tell VO, that she has to come back to take care of mother and family ? Thanks for your vaulable input

not necessary that every graduate should or would look out for jobs.

in OP's case..home maker should be the answer as thats the truth.

Thanks , I am planning to send my mother and my sister for interview together. i have my younger brother and father who will be staying behind.brother is studying and father has his busines. Though my mother can show that her son and husband is behind to show strong tie and reason to come back. I am struggling for my sister. Truth is my sister does not plan to work and my parents are looking match for her like any another typical indian family. I have been blessed with child recently and I want to bring them here for some time as I wont be able to visit India soon. Do you know any good answer which usually puts unmarried youngs through interview process. It sounds to me as well that homemaker sounds silly but I though unemployed will put more red mark. What can I write reason for being unemployed if I select that in Ds160 form.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks Rahul and Omshiv... I thought on the same line that since she is helping my mother take care of home I should write homemaker but was confused if it only applies for married people and wanted to confirm.

Omshiv, it looks like from your input that homemaker is a good option.... My next quetsion is what can be a good reaosn to show her ties to come back. I know its tricky and difficult quetsions, thats why asking here.

Thanks again both of you for your inputs.

Guest Noah Lotte

you cannot make 'unemployed' something positive...it is what it sounds like...unemployed. thus, sis has zero economic ties to India...no husband nor children, so her familial ties are marginal (adults leave the nest eventually, so pointing to parents and siblings as a reason to return make little sense)...and, since some of us guessed, you've recently had a baby...and who better to care for said child so you and your wife can return to work without having to pay for childcare than your unemployed, 'homemaker' sister...

Standard reason for being unemployed: don't have a job.

The act of searching for said job is meaningless...and, at age 26, well, it appears that shopping for a suitable husband might represent another reason why she (a) wants to go to the US and (b) why she wouldn't return.

It will be uphill work, all the way....

Do you know any good answer which usually puts unmarried youngs through interview process. It sounds to me as well that homemaker sounds silly but I though unemployed will put more red mark. What can I write reason for being unemployed if I select that in Ds160 form.

Their is no good answer, only truth.

Don't make things complex just apply for your parents and everything should be fine.

Guest Noah Lotte

the excuse of having to return in order to take care of a parent is futile...if your sister can leave said parent for even one day, then clearly she is not needed 24/7 around the house, and if someone else is supposed to take care of mom while sis is in the US, then why can't that same person continue to do for an unknown amount of time?

Bottom line: if said parent was so in need of 24/7 care, then sis could not leave the house at all...and if the parent could take care of him/herself in her absence, then there is no pressing need nor motivation for sis to leave the US.

It's an argument that has no logical conclusion...either the person needs full time care (so sis cannot leave) or does not need full time care [or another person will be on hand to provide said care], in which case there is no compelling need for sis to return home.

Far too many young, unemployed women from a variety of developing countries have turned out to be poor visa risks, and thus, any VO with more than ten minutes of interviewing experience, will be more than skeptical about the alleged reasons why the next young, single woman would adhere to the terms of a tourist visa....

the excuse of having to return in order to take care of a parent is futile...if your sister can leave said parent for even one day, then clearly she is not needed 24/7 around the house, and if someone else is supposed to take care of mom while sis is in the US, then why can't that same person continue to do for an unknown amount of time?

Bottom line: if said parent was so in need of 24/7 care, then sis could not leave the house at all...and if the parent could take care of him/herself in her absence, then there is no pressing need nor motivation for sis to leave the US.

It is possible that some relative or sibling will come and stay for a while to take care. It is also possible to setup a professional help for a short duration (a longer duration will cost much more money).

So it is very possible that someone takes care of parents and also takes a vacation for sometime.

I agree it is difficult to get a visa in this case BUT I have seen cases where such young unmarried woman have been granted visa. OP , no harm in trying .

Guest Noah Lotte

Once again, if a third party is supposed to substitute for the unemployed, hoping-to-get-married sister, then there is NO pressing need for her return...claiming one will hire a nurse, but only for a limited duration is also meaningless....no one can enforce such a statement...and other siblings may have their own lives to lead...sure, there is a 1:100,000 chance she might be issued a visa, but highly improbable...and all the stories/excuses one can think of cannot overcome two salient facts:

1- she is unemployed

2- she is single (and of marrying age)

those two facts cannot be dismissed because some cousin might come over to the house to take care of an elderly parent while she is 'vacationing' (more likely, babysitting) in the US.

It is possible that some relative or sibling will come and stay for a while to take care. It is also possible to setup a professional help for a short duration (a longer duration will cost much more money).

So it is very possible that someone takes care of parents and also takes a vacation for sometime.

And that could also be possible indefinitely.

So, you are just confirming what Noah said. There are no ties.

Guest Noah Lotte

while whilewhile homemakers no doubt work hard sometimes, that particular 'occupation' does not represent any significant tie to one's country of residence....seems like a great idea to have someone around to pick up socks, make dinner, etc! As to the 'short duration' of outside assistance, well, who controls that? If some relative agrees to provide care for two-three weeks, what happens when unemployed sis miraculously finds a husband while leaving the baggage claim area of the airport? Can the care providing sibling force sis to return? No. Thus, such a rationale for 'having to return' makes little sense.

And that could also be possible indefinitely.

So, you are just confirming what Noah said. There are no ties.

First, a Third Person will NOT help indefinitely. They have their own work to do. They can take a short break/vacation to help.

Second, not everyone is wealthy to afford a paid care indefinitely. A short help is often more affordable.

So , Noah's (and your) argument is invalid. It is VERY logical to get a help for short duration but very difficult to get a help indefintely.

while whilewhile homemakers no doubt work hard sometimes, that particular 'occupation' does not represent any significant tie to one's country of residence....seems like a great idea to have someone around to pick up socks, make dinner, etc! As to the 'short duration' of outside assistance, well, who controls that? If some relative agrees to provide care for two-three weeks, what happens when unemployed sis miraculously finds a husband while leaving the baggage claim area of the airport? Can the care providing sibling force sis to return? No. Thus, such a rationale for 'having to return' makes little sense.

First, I agree that we have a difficult (but not impossible) Visa case here. I made that clear in my first post.

Second, the "homemaker work hard" thing came up because t75 claimed that not working will make someone a "liability" to her husband. If you have the same medieval mentality , I have nothing to say.

Third, Nobody can force anyone to return. What if a person having a paid job decides to stay back to earn Green bucks illegaly (and eventually get a citizenship through the CIR or something similar ) ? Can her employer force her to return ? What if an Employed woman finds a husband ?

Fourth, the argument was NOT who will force her to return . The argument is , is it logical for someone to take a break from a 7X24 help to their ailing parents. And it is VERY logical to arrange for a help for a short duration and take a break. After all , anybody providing such support is also a human.

Fifth, OP DID NOT say that his sister takes care of parents. He said, she does household work. All this "'has to return' to take care of her mother" was your "invention".

Once again, if a third party is supposed to substitute for the unemployed, hoping-to-get-married sister, then there is NO pressing need for her return...claiming one will hire a nurse, but only for a limited duration is also meaningless....

So can someone hire a nurse indefinitely and send the bill to you ? Nice to know that you will be willing to pay other's bills.

The US expectation is that a young woman would be working and self supporting. Any woman should be prepared to support herself and her family. There are many men who unexpected leave the workforce due to injury and illness leaving the wife to take care of the financial needs of the family. Having no career to fall back on even if at the time she is not working certain is not good for either her or her future. This is especially true as one gets older and there are no senior family members to step up to support their child's family.

The US expectation is that a young woman would be working and self supporting. Any woman should be prepared to support herself and her family. There are many men who unexpected leave the workforce due to injury and illness leaving the wife to take care of the financial needs of the family. Having no career to fall back on even if at the time she is not working certain is not good for either her or her future. This is especially true as one gets older and there are no senior family members to step up to support their child's family.

First, why would a US Expectation be applied to a woman who lives in a different country ?

Second, do you mean that in US, a woman who is not earning is considered a "liability" by her husband ?

Third, at present, 47% women in US are Not Working.

Fourth, are you asking your Government to allow H4 visa holders to work so that women can be self supporting ?

Finally, while I agree that women should work and self support , I totally disagree that someone who is not working is considered as a "liability" by her husband. Looks like you never heard of a four letter word called love.

CHAKRAKR....re-read the OP's first posting..."she helps my mom at home...."...as you see, I did not 'invent' anything.

"helps my mom at home" does not mean "taking care of parents". It means helping mother in household work.

OP further clairified in a later post -- "I am planning to bring both my sister and mother" but you continued with your "invention" of caring for parents at home. Still want to say you did not "invent" anything :)

Archived