Re-entry in visitor visa after 3 months

mathi123

Hi

My mother visited me 6 months and left on Jan 09 2013. Now we are planning for her visit again around end of April 2013 for 3 months stay with only 3.5 months gap from her previous visit. The travel is necessary since I have my delivery scheduled at that time and she want to spend sometime with her newborn grandkid.

1. Is there anyway I can convince the POE officer giving the reason of the newborn baby delivery as the purpose of her immediate visit ?

2. if so, what are the additional documents i have to provide along with invitation letter, medical insurance and E-ticket.

Guest Noah Lotte

The CBP folks will wonder why she is back so soon after a six month 'visit.' Providing child care is not an authorized activity for B2 visa holders. 'Spending time' with a newborn for three months makes little sense.....why? Because it's not as if this newborn is going to be carrying on conversations with grandma at that age for those three months, nor discussing the economy, global warming, etc......so 'spending time' is beginning to sound like changing diapers, etc, so mom can return to work (and not pay for child care)...documents won't authorize such work. Don't be surprised if she is denied admission....(or, if she is very lucky, she might be admitted for ONE month...and asking for an extension will then almost guarantee that her visa will be cancelled)..

The travel is necessary since I have my delivery scheduled at that time and she want to spend sometime with her newborn grandkid.

1. Is there anyway I can convince the POE officer giving the reason of the newborn baby delivery as the purpose of her immediate visit ?

2. if so, what are the additional documents i have to provide along with invitation letter, medical insurance and E-ticket.

Taking care of you when you are delivering is unauthorized work. And that is illegal for someone on a Tourist visa. Telling this to the Officer at POE will make your mom sit on the next plane back to India. Making frequent trips will raise a Flag at the POE...its highly not recommended to make this trip.

There is nothing you can do to influence the officer at the border. She should have planned better. Pregnancy is 9 months; your delivery date was not a surprise. She may be granted entry; she may be sent home (not likely if she has only one previous visit, iffy if she has had more and any involved an extension). An I-94 may be for 6 months and may not be. No one on this forum can predict what will occur.

You are a big girl and hopefully have a supportive husband. You can do this even if she is not with you. If she delays her trip, it is not a big issue. She has your child's lifetime to be a grandma. If she is coming to enjoy a grandchild and not help you, she will delay her trip. Take it from me who has both kids and grands, babies are a lot more fun at 6 months than a newborn is. I'd rather play with a 6 to 18 month old than a newborn. Six to 10 years is not bad either. The terrible twos and the trying threes are better left to mom and dad; I don't want to deal with meltdowns in public - especially when I cannot figure out what caused it. My 4 yo grandchild is in the odd food kick right now; I very well remember explaining that my 3 yo only ate bologna and jelly sandwiches and the 5 yo only wanted mustard on his bread.Neither of which were on any menu.

Guest Noah Lotte

That would be best....if CBP gets the idea that something other than tourism is going on, well, it's very easy for them to cancel the visa (there is NO recourse) and getting a new one after it has been cancelled will be up hill work (since after the visa is cancelled, the VOs will be far less lenient and trusting to those who have apparently been abusing the visa privilege).

Archived