parents visa sponsership with wife's bank account details

kumar123456

Hello All,

I am planning on applying travel visa for my parents. Few question regarding bank accounts.

I have my family savings in my wife's bank account. Can I use that as proof of funds to support my parents when they are here? Or

My wife has to sponser them by herself?

Can my wife and I sponser my parents or only one of us is allowed? If we both can sponser do we need to fill in different Form I-134 Affidavit of support?

Let me know your responses.

Thanks,.

Kumar.

If a person in the U.S. can demonstrate s/he has the financial means to support the applicant, s/he may file the I-134 on behalf of a foreign national. So, if your family's savings are in your wife's account, and your state's laws confirm that these funds are legally yours, yes, you could presumably use these funds. However, as a practical matter, it probably makes more sense to have the person whose name is on the account sign the form.

Something to keep in mind, however. To obtain a B-1/B-2 visa, the Consulate is primarily concerned with two things: (1) The individual's ties outside the U.S.; and (2) whether the person will become a public charge.

My impression is that the consulates are far more concerned with the applicant's ties abroad then they are with foreign nationals becoming public charges. If you look through this forum, you will no doubt find countless applicants reporting that they were denied issuance of a B visa despite having a signed I-134. Proving ties abroad is much more subjective and can be difficult to prove.

Is your family in India? If so, you may wish to consider contacting our affiliate office in India:

http://www.murthyindia.com/

Or, you can always contact our offices if you need help preparing a B-1/B-2 visa package.

Guest Noah Lotte

VOs are also alert to the sad fact that many people use tourist visas to work without authorization while allegedly see the Grand Canyon and Mount Rushmore. Providing a copy of your bank statements will not allay those concerns...for the simple reason that no one, no state government (nor federal), no law enforcement agency nor Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) can legally force you to provide financial support for your parents. The I-134 has also been deemed non enforceable, rendering essentially worthless as far as any sort of 'guarantees' go. You cannot be made to control your parents' actions while they are in the US, nor can you force them to depart the US after their authorized (or unauthorized) stay.

Bottom line: Your pedigree/assets, etc, do not magically transfer to your parents (nor anyone else, unless peititoned for by a qualifying relative, using the I-864); the VOs will be determining if they believe whatever story is told to them and then must be satisfied that the terms of a B2 visa will not be violated...and no third party (nor attorney) can intercede nor 'guarantee' that the future B2 visa holder will indeed comply with our regulations.

The difficulty many people have in obtaining tourist visas is thanks to all those folks who have gone before them, telling similar stories about why they would return and/or not work illegally, then instead stayed put and worked without permission....and there are no shortage of those visa abusers.

Archived