3 Yr H1B extension based on previous employer approved I-140

PD2013

I came to the US in 2008 on a new H1 with Company A. In 2009, I changed companies and started working for Company B. I got my H1 transferred to Company B.

Company B filed for my green card under EB3 in 2010. My next H1 extension was done in March 2012 under EB3 and I got a 3 year extension which is valid till March 2015.

Now, if I change jobs to Company C, would my H1 transfer be valid till March 2014 which is 6 years from 2008 or would it be till March 2015? What about the next H1 extension? Can i still get a 3 year H1-B extension on the basis of a previous employer' approved I-140?

Thanks.

I am puzzled that you have to ask. In any case based on an approved I140 you are entitled to three year H1 extensions. No H1 petition can be approved for more than 3 years at one time.

But am I entitled to a 3 year extension even if I change employers? That was my question.

Hello PD2013,

I am in the same situation too. Based on what I heard from other forums, if we have at least a copy of I-140, we would be safe getting 3 yrs during H1 transfer.

In my case, I dont have a copy of my I-140. All I have is the receipt no. So, I am still searching for the right answer to aid my job switch!

All the best.

if you have qualified attorney you can get H1B for three years based on just the receipt number of I-140.

I have colleagues who didn't have I-140 copy and changed the job and got 3 years extension based

on just the receipt number of approved H1B

Dear 0407,

When you say qualified attorney, do you mean to say "I need to bring in my own attorney and have him/her communicate with my new employer" OR "A qualified attorney in my new employer's organization"? Sorry if I my question is very lame.

Thanks

Archived