B-1 visa refused for 2nd time

Beth2439

Hello, I been to the embassy in London today and had my B1 Visa refused for the second time. I have been offered a volunteer position for 1 year in a non-profit organisation in Florida.

On the first occasion I was 4 questions about my current employment and then refused because the consular said that no-one would leave a paid job to volunteer abroad. I had explained that I was in a Temporary Job, which was due to expire therefore I was not 'leaving' a job, but this fell on deaf ears.

Today, I provided a copy of my contract to confirm the above, alongside other documents to confirm my ties to the UK including a copy of my last mortgage statement and recent payment, storage quotes confirming 1 year option and house rental agreement also showing I was looking to rent out my house for 1 year only. Bank statements to show I can support myself for 1 year, and a letter from the organisation in Florida expalining the position.

My 'understanding' of the reason I was refused today was because 1) I do not have job to return to and 2)the consular didn't support my view that volunteering abroad would be part of any added benefit than volunteering in the UK. I hope that having worked abroad I would gain new life skills and experiences that, when I return, may help me land a better job. I have observed that employers love it if you have different/interesting experiences. The consular disagreed - surely this is subjective?

Has anyone else had a similar experiance? Is it worth pursuing any further?

I know I'm cluthing at straws now, but would it affect my application if I had lost my passport and have had to apply for a new one prior to applying for a visa? Would this somehow flag up as a concern.

Hello, I been to the embassy in London today and had my B1 Visa refused for the second time. I have been offered a volunteer position for 1 year in a non-profit organisation in Florida.

Even volunteering, it is work, and a B1 does not allow you to work.

The organization would have to file some other petition for you, e.g., a J1.

Hi all,

Thanks for your responses.

omshiv/JoeF this extract is taken from the embassy website;-

You will qualify for a B-1 visa or travel under the Visa Waiver Program to undertake voluntary work in the United States if you are able to show that:

•You will participate in a voluntary service program that benefits a U.S. local community, and that you are a member of, and have a commitment to, a particular recognized religious or nonprofit charitable organization;

•The work you are to perform is traditionally done by volunteer charity workers;

•You will not receive a salary or any remuneration from a U.S. source, other than an allowance or other reimbursement for expenses incidental to your stay; and

•You will not engage in the selling of articles and/or the solicitation and acceptance of donations.

A voluntary service program is an organized project conducted by a recognized religious or nonprofit charitable organization to provide assistance to the poor or the needy, or to further a religious or charitable cause.

I fell under all of the above, and had a letter from the organisation to confirm, hence why I applied for a B1. The organisation have taken on people from all over the world for the previous 11 years on the B1.

omshiv - The organistaion would have been reimbursing my flight, and paying my insurance. I would board/eat at my place of work. I have also saved £5,000.00 for emergencies, my bank statements were shown to the consulate.

Weirdly enough he did ask if I was single, and also asked if I had a boyfriend in the states. Unfortunately i am single therefore do you believe that this has affected my chances.

t75 - I'm not sure what your referring to?

I've no intention of attemping again, there are plenty of other opportunities out there. I would just like an understanding, to put my mind at rest.

Many Thanks

Beth

It is very hard for single young women to get a visa to the US. The reason is that lots of single young women, once they arrived in the US, "magically" found a US citizen to marry and stay in the US.

Having ties to one's home country is very important. Such ties include having a job and family to return to. You don't have a job, you don't have a boyfriend. Two things that clearly worked against you.

I found the link you were referring to: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/visaservices/?p=642. I am surprised by the poor wording on that page. They say "will" as if a visa were a sure thing, and nothing is ever a sure thing at the consulates. If you are interested in receiving some sort of training in the US, you may want to contact a qualified immigration attorney regarding your options.

To gain entry for one full year for volunteer work in the B-1 classification sounds like an impossible dream. I am surprised the consulate was encouraging it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Noah Lotte

One cannot do volunteer work of any kind (excepting missionary work, which this does not sound like)...any activity that would normally be carried out by an employee is generally considered work, and thus not allowed by B2, B1 holders. Activities on a B1 are very narrow....it matters not whether one is being paid or not (like babysitting, carried out by grandparents).

It does not matter what sort of letter the 'sponsoring' organization writes...what matters is the acitvity, and how it relates to the rules controlling authorized activity with a B1 (and B2)...and the VO was right...no one leaves a 'real job' for a year, no one has yet rented your house, etc. Sounds like the 'church' of Scientology....an organization whose ethics are in serious doubt.

Archived