Educational background is completely different from work

yamini

It is so nice to see all these posts counseling to commit fraud, and saying it is okay to violate immigration laws, regulations, and rules. Don't need to be honest -- the end justifies the means. Wonder why there is a lot of opinions that the H-1B system is rife with fraud.

You find one post like this and you are trying to blame entire H-1b system??

hi yamini,

I am in the same senario waiting for better guidance in regards with work not relaated to IT field.

I am working as research analyst (sas developer) and my masters was mol. biology where i have done bioinformatics, database management, adv bioinformatics ,statistics courses and base sas certification.

could any one guide me how to defend my work with masters degreee which i had.

don't discourage me as i am from nonit field.

ideas would be appreciated.

Hi

All the IT jobs doesn't require IT education. Since they have been grouped under IT they are being considered as such. Say for ex: as in my case i have been working as Oracle ERP financials functional consultant.

Main responsibility for my role is to talk to the business, understand the process, configure the pre packaged application i.e. ORACLE ERP. Test functionality and do the same thing in live environment upon acceptance of the business.

Do you really see any where in the entire process, am i need to pocess coding knowledge, or need for an IT qualification?

I can really bet that a person like me who did his/her masters in finance / accounting like CA, MBA, MFA etc would be 100% in a better position to do the above activity rather than a person completed education IT as major.

Basically the people who are interviewing should have that basic understanding on what a role requires, who is deserved for performing the responsibilities?

Unless they have that idea, instances will come up like this saying an ERP functional consultant also should have IT course.

Quiet a helpless situation and nothing we can do other than taking the fact as it is.. since we are at the receiving end.

I agree now - a - days the VO's are screwing up more on academic relevance but those who has that thin line of understanding on job role - responsibilities are accepting cases even with out having IT background incase if they are going for analyst roles (as i mentioned above).

Those who doesn't understand this is simplying putting query/rejecting...

Regards

Sudhakar

hi yamini,

I am in the same senario waiting for better guidance in regards with work not relaated to IT field.

I am working as research analyst (sas developer) and my masters was mol. biology where i have done bioinformatics, database management, adv bioinformatics ,statistics courses and base sas certification.

could any one guide me how to defend my work with masters degreee which i had.

don't discourage me as i am from nonit field.

ideas would be appreciated.

You find one post like this and you are trying to blame entire H-1B system??

That is a misinterpretation of what I said in my post. I stated that "wonder why there is a lot of opinions that the H-1B system is rife with fraud" in regards to a post counseling someone that it is okay to ignore the immigration law, regulations, and rules. I was saying that willingly ignoring the law is a reason people have negative opinions of the H-1B system. I was NOT "blaming the entire H-1B system".

There is nothing wrong with the H-1B system per se. (I am on a H-1B visa.) However, when individuals and companies willingly abuse the system and violate immigration law, regulations, and rules, they give justification to people, including politicians, who want to greatly restrict or even eliminate the system.

The settled case law with USCIS is that degrees that are "related" to the field of work are acceptable. If Yamini received H-1B approval from USCIS, it means they accepted that her education and experience sufficiently prepared her to handle her specific IT job. Therefore, it is not "fraud" to present the same facts to the consulate. However, the consulates have been creating their own law regarding H-1B eligibility, which is not something they are permitted to do. A person has the choice of continuing to work on their approved H-1B and not leave the US to apply for a visa, or to take a chance with the consulate trying to make the same argument that was successful with USCIS. If the consulate rejects that argument, they will send the petition back to USCIS for revocation. USCIS will likely reaffirm the petition, at which point the consulate must accept it, only by then a year or more has passed since the consular interview and circumstances regarding the job may have changed such that the consulate could find another "reason" to return the petition to USCIS.

The conclusion is that if you do not really need to travel outside the US, then don't. Once you have a few years in IT, and/or maybe some more training courses or another Masters degree, the consulate will not be so difficult about qualification for the position.

If you do need to go to the consulate, be sure you are prepared by a qualified immigration attorney to understand the legal argument promoting your qualifying education and experience. You might also think a little more about the facts on how your education and experience are related to the job in which you are working. There must be some reason that your employer believes that you are qualified for the position.

Equivalent degree in CS means, any degree from a foreign country needs to be equivalent to the CS degree offered by the US universities. Like B.Tech in CS from India is equivalent to BS in CS from US universities.

Let me explain you the reason for this rule

Let's say that you have a Master's degree from a reputed US university and a job position which matches your profile. If some other guy who worked as plumber or electrician and who doesn't even have a degree is selected for that position ( which doesn't match his profile) how do u feel?? Don't you feel that someone has taken your job though you are eligible? or do you gonna take revenge by taking up his previous job??

thoda dimaag per joor lagou Uncle....!!!!! (which means think practically)

Looks like you are going around the bushes and leaving the reality to gutter again!!! neku teliyaka pote muskoni kurcho uncle!!! (means if you dont know about something better stay calm!!!)

Dude, if possible try to help her but don't drag here into trouble. If you lie during the interview result will be a life long ban.

Moreover, OP has clearly mentioned that she never had a single computer related course.

Did you read my post? If not pls understand word-word. I didnot say to lie during interview. My version of saying was whatever degree you have, you need to present your case with supporting docs/information.

So, Pls do read completely before you post.

Archived