EAD for wife who is a Canadian citizen

test1234_test1234

Hi ,

I am currently waiting for my priority date to become current I have a priority date of Jan 28 2012 ... Question I had is I am going to get married to a canadian citizen and she will be moving to the states and from what I was told she doesnt have to go to the US consulate just has to take our marriage certificate and she can be processed at the airport for the H4 visa... I wanted to however check and see if she could potentially get a work visa given that she's a canadian citizen and can that be done at the airport too ? something like the TN visa ? Also in terms of us getting the EAD is it true that we have to wait for the priority date to become current before we apply for the EAD ? or can we apply for that the moment we get married ?

As a Canadian citizen your (future) wife could potentially be eligible for a TN visa for working. However, it is important to note that a TN visa has several specific conditions / requirements ... the person is coming to the U.S. for a specific job (already been hired with a offer letter), the person has to have a Bachelors or higher degree and the job is that field, the visa is valid for 1 year and they have to get a new visa each year (not an extension), and the visa does not allow immigration intent (i.e. if you started your permanent residency (green card) process, then your wife would be denied a TN visa).

There are no special H-4 considerations / rules for Canadian citizens. There is no work authorization allowed on a H-4 visa.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived