Speed violation is lack of good moral character in N-400 part 10 D!!!!!

spaul26

Dear members,

I got my green card in 2008 through EB-2. This year, 2013 I am eligible to apply for citizenship.

I have concern while completing the N-400 form: Part 10 section D (Good Moral character).

I did small mistake in mid-October 2012 (can not remember exact data!!). I was stopped by Police officer for speed violation. Police checked my driver’s license but did not give ticket, any points on my driving license, just warned me (as a first warning!!!). Police also did not give any written documents or did not take any fingerprints of mine. Police ensured me that this incident will not affect my driving records.

When I was looking at N-400 form/instructions under (Part D, Good Moral Character). I am not sure about what to put in below questions after above incident.

Questions 15. Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested? (YES, NO). 16. Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (YES, NO)(including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

I've heard that they get really offended if they think I am lying with them and that's something I would not want to do and which will jeopardize my citizenship. Below are the questions I am thinking of putting NO but am really scared.

Please note that when I read the naturalization guide book carefully this incident which I describe above (speed violation) did not fall in the category of examples of things that might demonstrate lack of good moral character.

Please advise me in this regard. I'd really appreciate your help!!!

Thanks,

spaul26

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

1. what is court disposition, what document do I need to  submit for citizenship? Can Joe explained in detail will be very helpful.

2. Also I got ticket in 2007 do I get the court disposition now?

These are all the documents for the court case. Citation, the letter setting the court date, the paperwork filed, etc.

If you had a lawyer for the court case, the lawyer would have all that.

You can get older documents from the court.

• 3 weeks later...

GC since 2010, in the country since 2003.

I have got:

1 ticket for Careless (not reckless) driving.

3 tickets for speeding 1-14 mph over the limit.

2 ticket for "disobeying traffic device" (stop sign, etc.)

All of these resulted in 2 points each on my DL. 

Since diluted over the years, I never had more than 6 points and never had my license suspended.

I will apply for naturalization in early 2015, should I worry?

• 2 years later...

GC since 2010, in the country since 2003.

I have got:

1 ticket for Careless (not reckless) driving.

3 tickets for speeding 1-14 mph over the limit.

2 ticket for "disobeying traffic device" (stop sign, etc.)

All of these resulted in 2 points each on my DL. 

Since diluted over the years, I never had more than 6 points and never had my license suspended.

I will apply for naturalization in early 2015, should I worry?

Please share if you were able to pass through N 400 interview.

• 1 year later...

I’m actually still here, believe it or not. :)

I still haven’t applied for naturalization. In the meanwhile, on my 4th year as a permanent resident, I got a DWAI (driving with “ability impaired” - a lesser offense than DWI in NY state)

Got arrested, plead guilty, paid my fine and surcharges, did my community service and the prevention class.

What are my chances? Do I necessarily need a lawyer with me for naturalization?

Thanks

Archived