Question regarding one's willingness to bear arms on behalf of the United States

Gottipatti

Hello All,

My question concerns question #37 in the N-400 form where one is required to say either "yes" or "no" to the question: "If the law requires it, are you willing to bear arms on behalf of the United States?" My answer is "No" (I have answered "Yes" to all the other questions regarding "Oath Requirements"). However, my saying "No" is neither for religious reasons, nor do I belong to any pacifist organization that requires me to abjure war. My "No" is for purely personal reasons. So, my question is: will merely stating, in a cover letter, that it is for personal reasons be sufficient, or will I need to furnish any kind of official documentation (such as, a letter from a temple priest)?

Sincerely,

GP

The willingness to bear arms can only be removed for reasons of religious belief.

If it is for personal reasons, you wouldn't be able to naturalize.

From INA 337:

Any such person shall be required to take an oath containing the substance of clauses (1) through (5) of the preceding sentence, except that a person who shows by clear and convincing evidence to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that he is opposed to the bearing of arms in the Armed Forces of the United States by reason of religious training and belief shall be required to take an oath containing the substa nce of clauses (1) through (4) and clauses (5)(B) and (5)©, and a person who shows by clear and convincing evidence to the satisfaction of the Attorney General that he is opposed to any type of service in the Armed Forces of the United States by reason of religious training and belief shall be required to take an oath containing the substance of clauses (1) through (4) and clause (5)©. The term "religious training and belief" as used in this section shall mean an individual's belief in a relation to a S upreme Being involving duties superior to those arising from any human relation, but does not include essentially political, sociological, or philosophical views or a merely personal moral code.

Conscientious objectors are allowed their beliefs in this country.

But non-citizens who are not willing to bear arms can not get naturalized, unless they are not willing to bear arms by reason of religious belief.

You may not like it, but it is the current law of the land.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived