2nd time Visa Stamping

Asinv3

Hi & Happy New Yr to everyone. I am currently on my 3 yr extension post the 6 yrs H1B period. The last time I appeared for a visa stamping was in 2008 at the Ottawa consulate and was subjected to Admin processing which took about 4 months to clear. I am currently a Full time employee and would have to go for stamping due to my scheduled vacation. I have some concerns with regard to appearing for visa stamping in my hometown in INDIA due to presumably longer wait times for 221g cases. On the pretext that I have already appeared in Ottawa and subjected to 221g, so If I prefer to appear for my visa stamping in Ottawa this time around, would it make any difference than appearing in Chennai? Does it reduce / enhance my chances for 221g? Pardon my ignorance with this regard. Any comments / feedback with this regard is highly appreciated. Thanks for ur time.

Hi & Happy New Yr to everyone. I am currently on my 3 yr extension post the 6 yrs H1B period. The last time I appeared for a visa stamping was in 2008 at the Ottawa consulate and was subjected to Admin processing which took about 4 months to clear. I am currently a Full time employee and would have to go for stamping due to my scheduled vacation. I have some concerns with regard to appearing for visa stamping in my hometown in INDIA due to presumably longer wait times for 221g cases. On the pretext that I have already appeared in Ottawa and subjected to 221g, so If I prefer to appear for my visa stamping in Ottawa this time around, would it make any difference than appearing in Chennai? Does it reduce / enhance my chances for 221g? Pardon my ignorance with this regard. Any comments / feedback with this regard is highly appreciated. Thanks for ur time.

Hi Asinv3,

Every case is different. You would need to know why you got 221G last time to rationally evaluate if you will get it again.

For ex. a PhD in Bio-Chemistry or Aviation is a guaranteed 221G for TAL (Technology Alert List).

If the last time you got it was because of Employer-Employee relationship then if things have changed and/or you prepare and answer better you may not get a 221G. Changing consulate would hardly help. I know that Delhi is pretty fast in processing 221G and in any case you will be home rather than stranded in Canada.

So first think why you got it last time and then rationally plan on your future steps.

Best,

Rajat

Thank You Rajat, Appreciate your feedback. I believe it was for Name Check, I have a very common Muslim First / Last Names. I saw a phrase at the very bottom of the visa page where it says "Name not identifiable with class entries." Since Ottawa consulate already subjected me to a name check last time, assuming they still have a record of it, I was wondering if that would help going to the same consulate.

Thank You Rajat, Appreciate your feedback. I believe it was for Name Check, I have a very common Muslim First / Last Names. I saw a phrase at the very bottom of the visa page where it says "Name not identifiable with class entries." Since Ottawa consulate already subjected me to a name check last time, assuming they still have a record of it, I was wondering if that would help going to the same consulate.

For name check I can see your logic. I would also think that since their systems are centralized your records should be available to all consulates and posts, along with any comments made by VO or put on file after completion of process.

Another possibility is that they may not have enough time to go through all records on your file during interview so may still give you 221(G) but since your records would show an earlier name check done the processing might be faster.

You can plan this (just a thought) - Go to Canada for interview -> Book flight to India from Canada around 10 days after your interview -> If it is smooth stamping great or else you wait in India till you get mail to deposit passport after admin processing is done -> go to canada -> come to US.

If you do go for stamping in India I have gathered from forum that Kolkata is really fast on 221(g) and New Delhi has been quick enough too (4-8 weeks).

Whatever you decide do update your experience on the forum so that it will help future applicants to make a decision.

Rajat

I will definitely take these things into consideration. Also, I did the same back in 2008 but it wasn't planned so had to fly to India from Canada once the wait crossed 10 days. So, this time around once my ticket and vacation is confirmed, I would have to plan it out accordingly. Thank you very much for taking time and posting your feedback.

I will definitely take these things into consideration. Also, I did the same back in 2008 but it wasn't planned so had to fly to India from Canada once the wait crossed 10 days. So, this time around once my ticket and vacation is confirmed, I would have to plan it out accordingly. Thank you very much for taking time and posting your feedback.

I think it is good strategy to go to India from Canada. Also, I would strongly suggest to go to India for Stamping since you are a FTE

Asinv3,

Wishing you the best for your stamping.

I am in a similar situation. Was subjected to 221(g) in 2007 in Chennai (Security Clearance. A.K.A - common muslim name. Can't think of any other reason why I wud be subjected to a security clearance as I work in financial services). Took 9 months. Have not been to India since my last stamping validity expiration.

Currently employed in a fortune 500 firm (same employer since the last 4 years). I was also considering your plan: Canada for stamping and if stamping goes thru, well and good. Else, go to India and wait for my clearance. But my company immigration attorneys suggested that I go to my home country for stamping and hence planning to go to India.

I am also trying to find out whether there is anything we could do to help USCIS/DHS/FBI or any other department to clear our name quickly. Have you done any such research?

I am also trying to find out whether there is anything we could do to help USCIS/DHS/FBI or any other department to clear our name quickly. Have you done any such research?

This sounds interesting.

I wonder if this is possible for TAL/employer verification etc as well.

FBI/DHS can charge a small fee and people can get things on order before leaving saving time for embassy as well as applicant and DHS makes some money in the process.

May be ask an attorney. I recall a few posts trying to get it done for employer verification but not sure if that happened or not.

Asinv3,

Wishing you the best for your stamping.

I am in a similar situation. Was subjected to 221(g) in 2007 in Chennai (Security Clearance. A.K.A - common muslim name. Can't think of any other reason why I wud be subjected to a security clearance as I work in financial services). Took 9 months. Have not been to India since my last stamping validity expiration.

Currently employed in a fortune 500 firm (same employer since the last 4 years). I was also considering your plan: Canada for stamping and if stamping goes thru, well and good. Else, go to India and wait for my clearance. But my company immigration attorneys suggested that I go to my home country for stamping and hence planning to go to India.

Thank You for taking time and RE: to the post. Yes, I have been told the same by the company's attorney. I was told when u goto a foreign country, names might be tallied against local databases as well. So it is always better to goto your home country. So, now I am contemplating going to Canada. Also, I have few committments, so at this time I think I would just goto Chennai Consulate for Stamping and my very first F1 stamping was from there with no issues.

Archived