Consultancy - Payroll Issue

truePatriot

Hello,

I need expert's advise with an issue. Friend of mine used to be on H1B, but later moved out of US for good. Friend while in US was working with a desi consultancy firm located in US. Their employer had not paid them in full before they left US and my friend had been in touch with them for quite a while. Recently, my friend approached me saying their visa is no longer valid as they are no longer in US and that they need my help, asked my SSN and bank details so that the employer can run payroll in my name and deposit funds in my bank acct. so I can transfer it to them. I didn't fully understand the tax implications but consented and gave them the details.

Now the employer wants me to sign an employment letter and tells me that I need to cite this deposit amount along with my taxes when I file tax returns. I am not sure what to do now and am seeking advise. Should I list this as an income in my tax return? But its not my money, so why should I?

Please advise.

- Posting for a friend :)

Hello,

I need expert's advise with an issue. Friend of mine used to be on H1B, but later moved out of US for good. Friend while in US was working with a desi consultancy firm located in US. Their employer had not paid them in full before they left US and my friend had been in touch with them for quite a while. Recently, my friend approached me saying their visa is no longer valid as they are no longer in US and that they need my help, asked my SSN and bank details so that the employer can run payroll in my name and deposit funds in my bank acct. so I can transfer it to them. I didn't fully understand the tax implications but consented and gave them the details.

Now the employer wants me to sign an employment letter and tells me that I need to cite this deposit amount along with my taxes when I file tax returns. I am not sure what to do now and am seeking advise. Should I list this as an income in my tax return? But its not my money, so why should I?

Please advise.

- Posting for a friend :)

what visa you are in ..

if you are in h1b you could be in big trouble .. if you sign those documents ..

you and that consulting company violated the law ..

the consulting company could be in legal trouble with IRS or USCIS or state because of i9,w4 , signed offer letter , new hire reporting requirements with state ..

You are participating in fraud. You are liable for taxes. You need to consult an attorney!

What were you thinking!!! Your friend could havve received the money while in India. You have compromised your SSN.

Yes, agree this action was senseless, but what are the steps to be taken now? Attorney for which field? Can this action be back-tracked somehow?

Archived