EAD status after getting divorsed

teja1987

Hi ,my date got current in Feb 2012 Bulliten and i married my Girl friend in US. But now due to family issues back in India we want to get divorced. Both of them have EAD and waiting for GC and as everyone knows dates got retrogressed. If we get divriced now what will happen to our EAD's? I am the primary and she is my dependent. Is there a way that both of them can have EAD's. Please suggest me if there is any way or I need to wait until we get our Green cards.

It's kind of unlikely you made the same mistake twice... makes me wonder, is there more to the story?

The EAD is valid while I-485 is pending. If you divoce before both I-485s are approved, then her I-485 will (eventually) be denied, in which case your derivative will either have to find some independent status (and realistically speaking, only H and L seem to be workable options because she has expressed immigrant intent) or leave the country. So, EAD is not really an issue. A denied I-485 is.

Hi ,my date got current in Feb 2012 Bulliten and i married my Girl friend in US. But now due to family issues back in India we want to get divorced. Both of them have EAD and waiting for GC and as everyone knows dates got retrogressed. If we get divriced now what will happen to our EAD's? I am the primary and she is my dependent. Is there a way that both of them can have EAD's. Please suggest me if there is any way or I need to wait until we get our Green cards.

Very interesting. Thats a big sacrifice you guys are making for the family especially when the family is back in India and you both want to stay in US !! So you want her to have EAD so she can live and work in US but you still want to divorce her. You do understand if you remarry someone else, your new wife cant even apply for EAD, she will have to be on her own status F1, H1 etc. Maybe you need to think and plan your future better. You should be concerned about the girl you will marry next than the girl you will be divorcing.

Desi dude,

I understand but atleast i want to set everything for the girl I married. She has a good future in the present company. We thought that she can come back to H-1B but she will loose the job. So atleast I want to do something good for her before i leave her. I dont know whether the future girl that I marry will work or stay at home. If she works she can still apply for H-1B and wait for her turn for GC. What ever happens, it happens for good by gods grace. So I will wait until my 485's are approved.

I know it sounds like fraud but I dont have a choice. Now I am 27 and I can wait 1-2 years after getting GC and then get divorced. WIll it be ok? Is there any other ways? What is the best I can do? Is it better without getting divorced and stay single (as per my parents) until both the parents agree. I dont know whether I can ask here or not but I am so frustrated and confused. Please help

t75 - True we need to get Marriage counselling before we get divorced. Hope it helps.

omshiv - I am ready to face the consequences. God will always be there to help us.

pontevecchio - My parents finally agreed but the girls parents are saying they will die which is usual. Before we make our decision, we need to talk to them one last time. Hopefully they will agree by gods grace.

Surprised to know that we can get advice for fraud situations.

teja1987 - Hope your girl friend is not manipulating you. No offense though a practical thought.

Just be cautious. I don't think her parents would be dying.So, if she is divorced, would their parents be able to find Prince Charming for their daughter. So you will be living like a saint after divorce.

If possible be strong.

So, if she is divorced, would their parents be able to find Prince Charming for their daughter. So you will be living like a saint after divorce.

Man, this is an another good question.

What I understand here is ,OP is very timid and is not thinking practically.

Divorce is approved, only if the couple didn't like to stay together, but not because his or her parents didn't like the marriage.

Archived